Old 02-08-2004, 01:27 AM
Bill Stock

Default Hornwort turning brown

The tips of my Hornwort are turning brown. Any ideas?

Old 02-08-2004, 01:37 AM
Bill Stock

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
gers.com...
The tips of my Hornwort are turning brown. Any ideas?

PH 7.5
Temp 25C
Nitrates 20 ppm
Light 72W CFL (Double in winter)

Old 02-08-2004, 02:06 AM
surewest

Could be a little brown algae ?

--

Dr5000

| ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
| ((((º`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸. ((((º ·´¯`·. , .·´¯`·.. ((((º

If you can't be kind,
at least have the decency to be vague.
_______________________
"Bill Stock" wrote in message
ers.com...
gers.com...

Old 02-08-2004, 08:28 AM
Limnophile

Most aquatic plants need iron and potassium (potash ) added to the aquarium,
hornwort included.

Hornwort also needs a 2 - 4 month "resting" period, with the water temp of
2-8 C, at least every 16 months. In the wild, the water cools off every
winter, and it's well-adapted to the yearly cycle.

If you can't provide your hornwort a cold period yearly, you will need to
keep replacing it. It also grows best at temps betwen 18-22 C. 25 C is a
little too warm.

YMMV . Glad to help;
Limnophile

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
ers.com...
gers.com...

Old 02-08-2004, 03:17 PM
Giancarlo Podio

"Limnophile" wrote in message ...
Hornwort also needs a 2 - 4 month "resting" period, with the water temp of
2-8 C, at least every 16 months. In the wild, the water cools off every
winter, and it's well-adapted to the yearly cycle.

If you can't provide your hornwort a cold period yearly, you will need to
keep replacing it. It also grows best at temps betwen 18-22 C. 25 C is a
little too warm.

Really? I've never heard of this before, nor has my hornwart had any
problems in 76F for over 2 years. It may be what nature throws at it
but are you sure it's actually a requirement of this plant?

Anyway, I usually find most people who have problems with hornwart are
low in iron, being a floating plant it's unable to get anything from
the substrate. Try a little Flourish or Flourish FE if already using a
trace mixture for the water column.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio

Old 02-08-2004, 05:42 PM
Limnophile

My hornwort dies off every winter, and every spring I get some more from
the local pond. You might have better luck, but that's what happens for me.
It doesn't seem to do very well above 75 F/ 23 C either. But like I said,
YMMV.

Limnophile

m...

Old 02-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Bill Stock

"Limnophile" wrote in message
Most aquatic plants need iron and potassium (potash ) added to the

aquarium,
hornwort included.

Hornwort also needs a 2 - 4 month "resting" period, with the water temp of
2-8 C, at least every 16 months. In the wild, the water cools off every
winter, and it's well-adapted to the yearly cycle.

If you can't provide your hornwort a cold period yearly, you will need to
keep replacing it. It also grows best at temps betwen 18-22 C. 25 C is a
little too warm.

YMMV . Glad to help;
Limnophile

Thanks, I currently have too many Nitrates in my tank. I was hoping the HW
might help.

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
ers.com...
gers.com...

Old 02-08-2004, 06:53 PM
Bill Stock

"surewest" wrote in message
Could be a little brown algae ?

Thanks.

I's not all over, just at the tips of the plant. I mean that all the needles
at the end of the plant are brown, not that all needles have brown tips. The
needles are rather sparse in some places too. It almost looks like a burn or
a lack of nutrients. But I have plenty of Nitrates.

--

Dr5000

If you can't be kind,
at least have the decency to be vague.