Old 03-08-2004, 01:59 AM
Bill Stock

Default Potassium (mixed) storage

If I mix up some Potash in solution do I need to keep in in a light proof
bottle? I know my Potassium Permangenate solution is supposed to be in an
opaque container. So I would imagine Potassium Chloride is the same?

Old 04-08-2004, 09:10 AM
Limnophile

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
et.cable.rogers.com...
If I mix up some Potash in solution do I need to keep in in a light proof
bottle? I know my Potassium Permangenate solution is supposed to be in an
opaque container. So I would imagine Potassium Chloride is the same?

I wish I knew. If you find out, please let me know.

Limnophile

Old 06-08-2004, 01:12 AM
Alex R

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
et.cable.rogers.com...
If I mix up some Potash in solution do I need to keep in in a light proof
bottle? I know my Potassium Permangenate solution is supposed to be in an
opaque container. So I would imagine Potassium Chloride is the same?

No, I'm pretty sure Potassium Chloride is stable enough to be stored in a
clear container. I've kept it in a clear bottle for a while and it didn't
seem like anything happened to it. You would dose it into your lit aquarium
anyway, right? But you can save yourself some work and just add it dry like
a lot of people do.
__
Alex
pcalex (at) hotpop.com

Old 06-08-2004, 01:20 AM
Bill Stock

"Alex R" wrote in message
"Bill Stock" wrote in message
et.cable.rogers.com...
If I mix up some Potash in solution do I need to keep in in a light

proof
bottle? I know my Potassium Permangenate solution is supposed to be in

an
opaque container. So I would imagine Potassium Chloride is the same?

No, I'm pretty sure Potassium Chloride is stable enough to be stored in a
clear container. I've kept it in a clear bottle for a while and it didn't
seem like anything happened to it. You would dose it into your lit

aquarium
anyway, right? But you can save yourself some work and just add it dry

like
a lot of people do.

Yes, the first batch I just mixed up in a glass (1/3 tsp.) and dumped in the
tank. But I was thinking that a plastic pop bottle would be handy for
premixing. I did some reading over in the photographic group and it seems
they have the same issue with chemical storage. They use the empty hydrogen
peroxide bottles or pop bottles if stored in a dark cabinet.

Old 06-08-2004, 12:34 PM
Limnophile

You could do what a lot of people do, and spoon the dry powder directly into
a hang-on tank box filter ( Penguin 300, Whisper 2, etc ...)

Putting it directly into the filter assures it will quickly be mixed with
the tank water. A lot of fish keepers do this with liquid fertilizers,
dechlorinator, aquarium salt, etc.

Limnophile

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
s.com...

"Alex R" wrote in message
> [...]
et.cable.rogers.com...

Old 06-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Nitesbane

"Limnophile" wrote in message
You could do what a lot of people do, and spoon the dry powder directly

into
a hang-on tank box filter ( Penguin 300, Whisper 2, etc ...)

Putting it directly into the filter assures it will quickly be mixed with
the tank water. A lot of fish keepers do this with liquid fertilizers,
dechlorinator, aquarium salt, etc.

Limnophile

What a great tip. I usually dump everything near the outflow of the filter,
but putting it inside the box is something I never thought to do, for some
reason. :-) Thanks.

Old 06-08-2004, 09:59 PM
Giancarlo Podio

I've never had problems storing it in transparent bottles. I pre-mix
all my dry goods, trace mixtures seem to be the ones that are more
delicate to light. My CSM+B got some fungus in a clear container for
example.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio

"Bill Stock" wrote in message . net.cable.rogers.com...
If I mix up some Potash in solution do I need to keep in in a light proof
bottle? I know my Potassium Permangenate solution is supposed to be in an
opaque container. So I would imagine Potassium Chloride is the same?

CO2 in a new and old way. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3). When it is mixed with an James M K Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 26-08-2003 04:24 AM
mixed border catie Roses 1 01-08-2003 10:43 PM
Fothergills Mixed Perennials JennyC United Kingdom 1 29-04-2003 05:56 PM
Cheap mixed bulbs online? Pete Williams United Kingdom 0 28-03-2003 05:20 PM
Seedling Selection - Mixed Paul England United Kingdom 0 11-03-2003 10:29 PM