GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bogwood question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/81470-bogwood-question.html)

Negotiator 10-08-2004 03:52 AM

Bogwood question

Hey guys,

I bought a piece of bogwood about two weeks ago and soaked it in hot
water for about a week. Now that it's in my tank it's growing a white
fungus. I was just wondering if this fungus is harmful to the fish and
if there is any kind of fish that'll eat it or a chemical to kill it
(without killing my fish)
Thanks.

Giancarlo Podio 10-08-2004 10:53 PM

Bogwood question

Probably just some fungus from possibly having been exposed to air
while humid for some time. I don't think you'll find any fish that
will touch it but I wouldn't worry about it, once fully submerged it
shoudl go away on it's own. If it doesn't scrub it away with an old
toothbrush or similar. My substrate did this when I left it exposed
for a day during a tank move, once I filled the tank back up it whent
away on it's own.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio

daemonfly 11-08-2004 12:28 AM

Bogwood question

I usually get this on the malaysian driftwood from my lfs. I take the
wood to the sink, scrub it off well with a toothbrush & some hydrogen
peroxide, rinse well with hot water, then it's good to go. Never have it
come back after this technique.

Virgin News 12-08-2004 12:56 AM

Bogwood question

The white fungus is not harmful and will eventually disappear. I used to
scrape mine of with a scouring pad every now and then.