Old 16-08-2004, 06:14 AM
Keith E. Loyd

Default A thorough list of plants that kill each other??

Howdy,

After several years in the hobby, I occasionally have heard discussion of
certain groups of plants that do no prosper when in the presence of other
species.

the ones I have heard of:
cryptorynes vs Vallisneria sp.,
Val vs Saggitaria sp.

Do any of you have a more thorough list from your own experience or sources
online?

In nature, it is typical for only one species to dominate a certain niche in
a pond/lake/river. Chemical means are routinely used to get a leg up on the
competition in the rainforest in delightful irony against the stereotype of
"Mother" Nature as being a pristine, nurturing, static thing.

regards,
KL

Old 18-08-2004, 11:23 AM

"Keith E. Loyd" wrote in message news:9rXTc.8071$vj.5061@okepread03...
Howdy,

After several years in the hobby, I occasionally have heard discussion of
certain groups of plants that do no prosper when in the presence of other
species.

the ones I have heard of:
cryptorynes vs Vallisneria sp.,
Val vs Saggitaria sp.

Do any of you have a more thorough list from your own experience or sources
online?

In nature, it is typical for only one species to dominate a certain niche in
a pond/lake/river. Chemical means are routinely used to get a leg up on the
competition in the rainforest in delightful irony against the stereotype of
"Mother" Nature as being a pristine, nurturing, static thing.

regards,
KL

I've reviewed and discussed this issue in the past.
To date, there has never been ANY evidence that this occurs in natural
systems.
I've grown the above plants together without issue.
Any plant-plant interaction combinations are welcomed. I've grown many
species together over the years.

See the APD for some discussion. If you'd like to see the best
research paper on the topic, I can provide the reference.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 18-08-2004, 09:21 PM
Giancarlo Podio

Perhaps conditions that may favor one plant won't favor another... but
I've yet to see any signs of plant warefare in my tanks. I've also
kept the plants you've listed in the same tank in the past without
problems. I do however remember reading something along these lines in
Diana Walstad's book, she mentioned two plants I believe that don't
seem to like eachother, but I've never actually seen this occur in a
tank myself.

Giancarlo Podio

Old 23-08-2004, 06:27 AM

I suggest you read Gopal and Goel, 1993. The Botantical Review vol 59.
No 3.
Competition and Allelopathy in Aquatic Plant Communities.

It suggest the same observations I and many other others have noted
for many years. In order to tell if what yu are seeing is in fact
caused by this, you need to make sure that the other factors such as
CO2, light, NO3 etc are not influencing the results.

If you do this, you will not find this effect. I would also reject
that plants have this allelopathic effect on algae as well. Does not
matter what plant species you use. All 300 species do the same thing?
Pretty unlikely to say the least.

Regards,
Tom Barr