GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   c02 and a 180 gal tank (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/82358-c02-180-gal-tank.html)

gerryd 24-08-2004 06:04 PM

c02 and a 180 gal tank

Hello all,

I have a 180 gal tank using the following equipment:

1. Trickle filter using twin rio 500 gph pumps. Dual overflows and
returns.
2. 240 watts of fluorescent lighting on for 11-12 hrs per day on
timers.
3. Fully automatic c02 system with Milwaukee regulator and twin gauges,
solenoid, bubble counter, needle valve, and Milwaukee sms ph controller.
5lb bottle of c02.
4. Using a reactor 1000 mounted under the tank and driven by another
small rio pump.

My water parameters a

Ph – 7.9
Temp – 79 F
Gh – 280 mg/l
Gh – 50 -60 mgl

My questions are as follows:

1. If I set the controller to 7.0, does the bps calculation still
apply? Or is this only for smaller tanks or those w/o a controller? I
have the bps at 3-5 bps currently. Can I just crank open the needle
valve and let the solenoid take over (doesn’t sound like a good idea
though)? I plan to leave the c02 on 24/7.
2. How long will it take to bring the ph down to the desired level
(7.0)? A week, month, days????
3. I have the reactor 1000 mounted horizontally. Any issues with that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have learned a lot from reading

Thanks much,

Gerry.

--
gerryd