Old 11-09-2004, 01:56 AM
IRR

Default vivarium ground cover

Anyone have any suggestions for an attractive vivarium ground cover and/or
creeping vine? This is a very well lit, high humidity (90%+), high
temperature (80-85 deg. F) setup.

Old 16-09-2004, 11:52 PM
so238

IRR wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions for an attractive vivarium ground cover and/or
creeping vine? This is a very well lit, high humidity (90%+), high
temperature (80-85 deg. F) setup.

You're in the right newsgroup! A number of aquarium plants will do well
in such a setting, often as not better than underwater. Dwarf anubias
(A. nana) is up to 2" high, pretty tough-leaved, likes high temp and
very hardy. Bright light not necessary but won't harm. Has a reputation
for growing so slow it drives you mad, but if grown emerged, is much
faster than underwater. I had real good results growing it above water
under the filter return spray. Let it creep up the driftwood, on rocks etc.
Java moss and similar moss-like things should do well. Riccia might need
to have water after all so not so great. Hope it's a good start.

Seb
Old 17-09-2004, 05:51 PM
jaypython

hi................what u keeping in your vivarium? ive kept reptiles for
about 10 yrs and depending on what species you are keeping depends on
the type of bottom ground substrate u need.keep me posted.

--
-RadCliffe-

Old 17-09-2004, 05:59 PM
sophie

In message , so238
writes
IRR wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions for an attractive vivarium ground cover and/or
creeping vine? This is a very well lit, high humidity (90%+), high
temperature (80-85 deg. F) setup.

You're in the right newsgroup! A number of aquarium plants will do well
in such a setting, often as not better than underwater. Dwarf anubias
(A. nana) is up to 2" high, pretty tough-leaved, likes high temp and
very hardy. Bright light not necessary but won't harm. Has a reputation
for growing so slow it drives you mad, but if grown emerged, is much
faster than underwater. I had real good results growing it above water
under the filter return spray. Let it creep up the driftwood, on rocks etc.
Java moss and similar moss-like things should do well. Riccia might
need to have water after all so not so great. Hope it's a good start.

Seb

creeping jenny should do well; it's not an aquatic plant (though you can
grow it in aquariums) - the only problem is it might take over.

--
sophie
Old 19-09-2004, 09:16 PM
IRR

Thanks for the replies so far. Right now all we have (critter-wise) are
some of the "buy by the dozen" feeder fish, to try and get some kind of bio
cycles established. We'd really like to have some lush plant growth going,
and then try to play off of that to establish what sort of reptiles/herps we
might be able to introduce; does that seem like a good way to go?
I hadn't even thought of dwarf anubias, and also am excited to try the java
moss and creeping jenny, at least a few small plants to test things out.
Any other suggestions are welcomed!

Old 19-09-2004, 10:06 PM
sophie

In message , IRR
writes
Thanks for the replies so far. Right now all we have (critter-wise) are
some of the "buy by the dozen" feeder fish, to try and get some kind of bio
cycles established. We'd really like to have some lush plant growth going,
and then try to play off of that to establish what sort of reptiles/herps we
might be able to introduce; does that seem like a good way to go?
I hadn't even thought of dwarf anubias, and also am excited to try the java
moss and creeping jenny, at least a few small plants to test things out.
Any other suggestions are welcomed!

Is this a vivarium or an aquarium? I'm puzzled now! I suggested creeping
jenny thinking it _wouldn't_ be underwater. I do grow it in my aquarium,
but I'm expecting to have to replace it at some point as it isn't
actually an aquatic plant. I have a ridiculous amount of the stuff in my
garden, so replacement isn't a problem, and the goldfish don't eat it,
which is unusual enough for me to be willing to replace it if necessary!

Old 21-09-2004, 03:53 AM
IRR

"sophie" wrote in message
In message , IRR
writes
[...]

Sorry about that (and sorry about the toppost before!) -- it is basically
both. The tank is a 30G tall that is basically partitioned vertically. The
bottom 6" or so is freshwater (lit from behind through a diffuser), whereas
at about 9" we have a thin (artificial) rock platform that is almost the
same area as the tank, minus a small (5"x5") opening and rock "staircase"
that leads down to the water below. The top partition is where we are
planting, already have a good scaffolding of grapewood and vertical rocks w/
a waterfall. So the short answer is 'both', while hopefully clearing up my
earlier vivarium question!

Old 21-09-2004, 12:54 PM
jaypython

..............so its not a vivarium????

:idonno:

Old 21-09-2004, 03:37 PM
sophie

In message , IRR
writes
"sophie" wrote in message
In message , IRR
writes
[...]

It sounds lovely. do you have photos?

--
sophie
Old 23-09-2004, 05:56 AM
IRR

"sophie" wrote in message
In message , IRR
writes
"sophie" wrote in message
In message , IRR
writes
[...]

Thanks Sophie.. as soon as this creeping jenny fills in the brown spots
I'll post a link with photos, hopefully garner some more tips from the old
pros here!

Orchids in vivarium/terrarium Maj S. Madsen Orchids 1 06-10-2004 10:35 PM
Orchids in vivarium/terrarium Maj S. Madsen Orchids 0 06-10-2004 08:12 PM
Vivarium Board? Beverly Gardening 2 12-05-2004 02:03 AM
Growing a Newly Rooted African Violet -- to Cover or Not to Cover? ... Linda W. Gardening 5 18-08-2003 08:42 AM
Ground Cover Suggestions Needed Erika Gardening 2 31-03-2003 03:32 PM