GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   nymphoides, hydrocharis for pond (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/83488-nymphoides-hydrocharis-pond.html)

so238 13-09-2004 11:11 AM

nymphoides, hydrocharis for pond

Hello underwatner gardeners,

I'm planning to plant some false lilies (Nymphoides peltata) or frogbit
(Hydrocharis morsus) in a big tub on my balcony (hopefully with a few
goldfish). From my research either species are native to or have been
naturalized in temperate climates (like the one I live in) so that's
settled. Anyone had experience with those plants? It seems they aren't
too hard.
You can probably see I'm going for plants that look like lilies! But I
can't use real lilies, if I want to plant in a tub.

Seb

Happy'Cam'per 13-09-2004 11:52 AM

"so238" wrote in message
Hello underwatner gardeners,

I'm planning to plant some false lilies (Nymphoides peltata) or frogbit
(Hydrocharis morsus) in a big tub on my balcony (hopefully with a few
goldfish). From my research either species are native to or have been
naturalized in temperate climates (like the one I live in) so that's
settled. Anyone had experience with those plants? It seems they aren't
too hard.

Amazon frogbit is a nice hardy plant. It does well in my tank and usually
has 5-7 leaves floating on the surface. Nymphoides might be a bit trickier
in terms of water quality and nutrients, if you don't want it to flower then
you have to 'pinch' off the leaves that are bolting for the surface.
Nymphoides will need 4 or 5 pads at the surface before it blooms, this
usually blocks out alot of light for the bottom plants!
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Sandy Birrell 13-09-2004 01:30 PM

so238 wrote:
Hello underwatner gardeners,

I'm planning to plant some false lilies (Nymphoides peltata) or
frogbit (Hydrocharis morsus) in a big tub on my balcony (hopefully
with a few goldfish). From my research either species are native to
or have been naturalized in temperate climates (like the one I live
in) so that's settled. Anyone had experience with those plants? It
seems they aren't too hard.
You can probably see I'm going for plants that look like lilies! But I
can't use real lilies, if I want to plant in a tub.

Seb

Have a look through this Google search you might find some ideas for small
water lilies there.

http://www.google.com/search?q=minia...utf-8&oe=utf-8

--

Don`t Worry, Be Happy