Old 17-09-2004, 05:51 PM
RadCliffe

Default Had an interesting idea for a filter

I had this idea for a filter for a fish tank, I dont know if it has ever
been done before, but here was what i was thinking.

Basicly it combines an undergravel filter and a regular powered filter.
But my idea was to build a regular powered filter into two sections one
that went directly into the undergravel filter (my therory is this would
increase the effectiveness of the undergravel filter while keeping it
cleaner than usual), and the second part could be set in the normal area
for a regular filter to collect floating material.

I also thought about a top filter to clean material that floated at the
top of the water.

It could possibly be expensive to build but i think it could work

what does everyone think?

--
-RadCliffe-

Old 17-09-2004, 06:04 PM
Ben

RadCliffe wrote:
I had this idea for a filter for a fish tank, I dont know if it has ever
been done before, but here was what i was thinking.

Basicly it combines an undergravel filter and a regular powered filter.
But my idea was to build a regular powered filter into two sections one
that went directly into the undergravel filter (my therory is this would
increase the effectiveness of the undergravel filter while keeping it
cleaner than usual), and the second part could be set in the normal area
for a regular filter to collect floating material.

I also thought about a top filter to clean material that floated at the
top of the water.

It could possibly be expensive to build but i think it could work

what does everyone think?

It has been talked about before here with netmax. It does increase the
effectiveness of the undergravel filter but it reduces the biological
apect of the UGF. I currently have an old hang on back that I can hook
to the uplift tubes of the UGF. I don't run it constantly, maybe once
every couple of months to get rid of a lot of the crap that has built up
under there.

Since gravity and the suction is pulling all of the stuff down, you
don't need to top filter. (Very infrequently is there stuff that floats
on the top).

-Ben
Old 21-09-2004, 03:12 PM
NetMax

"Ben" wrote in message
RadCliffe wrote:
[...]

Filter combinations can be fun to do. In
http://www.2cah.com/netmax/basics/filters/filters.shtml I discuss some of
the different functions. Once you have a basic understanding of the
strengths and functions of the different methods, you can puzzle together
all sorts of inventions ). Remember that you need reliable operation
in whatever you design (so redundancy is good).

The powerfilter you need (to drive a UGF) is only made by one company
now, as all the others use a waterfall return and a pipe intake, which
means you can only UG UGF plates with a powerfilter (not RUGF). A
canister filter will drive RUGF though (if that is what you are trying to
do).

As for your 'top filter', you can skim with a drop pipe or a floating
adjustable skimmer, but most people say that it's not worth the trouble
with fresh-water tanks. All you'll get is a pretty innocuous protein
layer (if you don't already have fish which eat it).

Also the fact that you are posting in r.a.f.p. causes me to remark that
the design of custom filters (and skimming methods) is further
'challenged' by plant debris, so beware ;~).
--
www.NetMax.tk