Old 23-09-2004, 07:36 PM

Default Tank Setup Procedure/Sequence (starting with no plants)

I think I might be ready to put gravel, rocks, and driftwood in my 55G
tank this weekend, however, I still haven't finished the lighting yet,
so I can't put any plants in. So here's my question ... I know it's
best to start with a large number of plants when you first setup your
tank so that you have a better chance of outcompeting algea, but what
about starting with no plants?

I've had the tank setup with water and no light for the last month or
so, and I haven't seen a spec of algea (not enough light I'm guessing,
or maybe not enough nutrients since there's nothing else in the tank).
So would I be shooting myself in the foot and making things harder for
my plants once I do get them in there or can I go ahead and set things
up so it's all nice and pretty as I wait to get the light finished.

Any feedback is highly welcome,
Harry

P.S. No fish would be introduced until I get the lights finished, and
plants into the tank.