GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Substrate question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/84301-substrate-question.html)

Jon W 29-09-2004 10:52 AM

Substrate question

My 60cm planted tank has course gravel approx. 5mm in diameter and I think
the plants are not reaching their potential.

I was wondering if adding a finer gravel to the top and mixing it in whilst
vacuuming would help or whether I need to bite the bullet and go for the
complete rebuild.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Rex Grigg 30-09-2004 05:49 AM

Might help but the larger gravel will always end up on top.

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:52:08 +0100, "Jon W"
wrote:

My 60cm planted tank has course gravel approx. 5mm in diameter and I think
the plants are not reaching their potential.

I was wondering if adding a finer gravel to the top and mixing it in whilst
vacuuming would help or whether I need to bite the bullet and go for the
complete rebuild.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Semper Fi!

Visit the forums at Aqua Botanic!
http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/#1

Need Nitrate or Potassium for your tank? Go to www.litemanu.com
(Just a happy customer of the above!)

Mike Edwardes 01-10-2004 04:49 AM

"Jon W" wrote in message ...
My 60cm planted tank has course gravel approx. 5mm in diameter and I think
the plants are not reaching their potential.
I was wondering if adding a finer gravel to the top and mixing it in whilst
vacuuming would help or whether I need to bite the bullet and go for the
complete rebuild.
Any suggestions would be very welcome.

I have done this successfully:
http://mike-edwardes.members.beeb.net/plant/lotech.html
Try it, you've got nothing to lose!

Mike.
--
Mike Edwardes Tropicals
http://mike-edwardes.members.beeb.net

Jon W 05-10-2004 02:53 PM

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

I have done this successfully:
http://mike-edwardes.members.beeb.net/plant/lotech.html
Try it, you've got nothing to lose!

Mike.

Thanks. I like the idea of making it as low tech and low maintenance as
possible.