Old 29-09-2004, 11:45 PM
Registered User

Question CO2 Contoller compatability

I'll be visiting the USA soon (from Europe) and am thinking of picking up a Milwaukee SM 122 PH Controller. I know I will need a new 220v to 12v power adaptor to power the device, but my question is, will the driver or relay within the device power a 230V solenoid (as opposed to 110v USA solenoids) ??
Old 30-09-2004, 01:12 AM
Buzzard Face

--
Gerryc

My guess is NO. Check to see if they sell a 220v version.

Buzz

Old 01-10-2004, 10:48 PM
Registered User

Post

Did some further investigation into this. Looks like the device will actually handle both 115/230 VAC (as per the spec which I found on the Milwaukee web site). The only problem is with the socket used for the controlled device - (this sits between the mains socket and the controlled device plug, with a pass-through for the neutral and a switch wire (controlled via the controller) for the live) - which is a US type fitting. This is problem is easily solved using a couple of cheap travel plug adaptors.

Why bother? - the device is almost three times the price in Europe as it is in the USA. If I'm wrong - I could just get a 115 VAC solenoid and still save money!! I'll give it a try and let you know how I get on!
Old 01-10-2004, 11:36 PM
Michi Henning

"Gerryc" wrote in message

Buzzard Face Wrote:
"Gerryc" wrote in message
...-

I'll be visiting the USA soon (from Europe) and am thinking of
picking
up a Milwaukee SM 122 PH Controller. I know I will need a new 220v
12v power adaptor to power the device, but my question is, will the
driver or relay within the device power a 230V solenoid (as opposed
110v USA solenoids) ??

Did some further investigation into this. Looks like the device will
actually handle both 115/230 VAC (as per the spec which I found on the
Milwaukee web site). The only problem is with the socket used for the
controlled device - (this sits between the mains socket and the
controlled device plug, with a pass-through for the neutral and a
switch wire (controlled via the controller) for the live) - which is a
US type fitting. This is problem is easily solved using a couple of
cheap travel plug adaptors.

I'm currently going through a similar exercise, getting a controller from
Germany for use in Australia. Price is 1/3 in Germany of what I would
pay here...

The power socket on the controller carries whatever mains voltage it
is plugged into. All the controller does is switch that socket on and off
via a relay or triac. In other words, if you use the controller with 220V, the
voltage for the solenoid will also be 220V.

So, you will need to just get 220V/12V adapter to power
the controller itself, and you will need a 220V solenoid, plus a travel
adapter so you can connect the solenoid with a UK plug to the switched outlet,
and another adapter so you can plug the other side of the switched outlet
into a wall outlet. (Or, alternatively, open up the original switched outlet
and replace
it with a box that has a UK socket and a UK plug, wiring the entire
thing the same way as the original. That way, you won't need any travel
adapters. Depending on how confident you are with wiring devices that carry
mains voltage, that might be the cleaner solution. But don't do this unless
you really know what you are doing, or ask an electrician for help.)

Why bother? - the device is almost three times the price in Europe as
it is in the USA. If I'm wrong - I could just get a 115 VAC solenoid
and still save money!! I'll give it a try and let you know how I get
on!

The price differences across different countries a staggering. It is ridiculous
that an item that retails for X dollars in Germany costs 3X dollars in
Australia :-(

The German retailer I'm buying this from is a discount mail order place, so
their
margin will probably be smaller than for a normal retail outlet. But, still, I
would
expect the German retailer to add at least a 50% margin. So, an item that costs
$300 retail can be bought by the retailer from the manufacturer for around
$200.
Yet, that same item costs over $900 in Australia. Having talked to my LFS about
this, I know that it isn't the LFS that runs away with the profit. (In fact, my
LFS
pays more for the item from the Australian distributor than I pay for it from
the German retailer! And import duty is only 10%, which makes me wonder
who runs away with the other 290+%. Freight and insurance can't account for
the price difference. So I'm left with the conclusion that the Australian
distributor
must be making an absolute fortune with a 150-200% mark-up :-(

Cheers,

Michi.

--
Michi Henning Ph: +61 4 1118-2700
ZeroC, Inc.

Old 02-10-2004, 07:18 AM
blank

[...]

Are you still discussin the Milwaukee SMS122 when you say AUD 900? If so
you're way off beam. They cost AUD 231 froi Milwaukee Meters Australia.
See this link:

http://www.milwaukeemeters.com.au/dcontrollers.html

Old 02-10-2004, 01:11 PM
Michi Henning

"blank" wrote in message

Are you still discussin the Milwaukee SMS122 when you say AUD 900? If so
you're way off beam. They cost AUD 231 froi Milwaukee Meters Australia.
See this link:

http://www.milwaukeemeters.com.au/dcontrollers.html

Thanks for that link, I wasn't aware that Milwaukee was available Down Under.

No, the equipment I had in mind is the Aqua Medic pH controller, with pH probe
and solenoid valve. The quote I got from the LFS for that was well over A$ 900,
whereas, from Germany, I can get it for $350.

Cheers,

Michi.

Old 01-09-2005, 08:29 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi Henning
"blank" wrote in message

Are you still discussin the Milwaukee SMS122 when you say AUD 900? If so
you're way off beam. They cost AUD 231 froi Milwaukee Meters Australia.
See this link:

http://www.milwaukeemeters.com.au/dcontrollers.html

Thanks for that link, I wasn't aware that Milwaukee was available Down Under.

No, the equipment I had in mind is the Aqua Medic pH controller, with pH probe
and solenoid valve. The quote I got from the LFS for that was well over A$ 900,
whereas, from Germany, I can get it for $350.

Cheers,

Michi.
--
Michi Henning Ph: +61 4 1118-2700
ZeroC, Inc. http://www.zeroc.com
Can anyone pls tell me where these PH controllers are made because mine is "Made in Romania" and i cant find on the net the homepage of the manufacturer.
The only thing I found is the australian homepage.
I have the SMS122 "reverse" controller and I solved all the compatibility issues (plugs and sockets,12V adaptors etc).
My problem is that i want to use a normally closed solenoid valve but this controller (reverse type) activates the solenoid when the ph value goes below the desired set point (the contrary from what i need).
Is there a way to make a modification or some regulation inside the unit so that it can work as the normal SM122 ??
Old 02-09-2005, 01:08 AM
Justin

Hi george,

Instead of purchasing a whole new unit, I know that you can get two types of
solenoid, one that is on (open) and when power goes to it, it closes and one
that is off (closed) and when power goes to it, it opens. This would work
just fine, it's just the opposite to other ones...

If you have a look at
http://www.aquariumsonline.com.au/me...c2d39add7ca2d3
you will see there are two solenoids, one "normally open" and one "normally
closed" they are AU$220 and I would go for the "normally open" one, so when
your controller turns one - when ph goes below the set target, the solenoid
will close.

also, http://www.milwaukeemeters.com.au/ stock the SMS122 and their prices
are REALLY good. I am kicking myself as I purchased a second had Dupla PH
control trom eBay for $450 and I could have bought a brand new one from this
site for cheaper... They also have all the probes, calibration solutions
etc at cheap prices. I have asked them some questions and they are really
helpfull.

Hope this helps.

Justin.

"george3300" wrote in message