Old 01-10-2004, 08:04 PM
Elly

Default Light, heating, new fish... please help!

I am trying to set up my first aquarium, read a number of books, FAQ,
lurking here for a while and finally totally confused by some of the
options that I should chose. I have a 29 gallon tank (30x12x18), I
plan to have low-medium light live plants and a variety of fish (for
start I plan to slowly add zebra danios, some tetras, may be few cat
fish). Could somebody help me with a few questions to ensure the
successful setup?

1. Heating: If have 2 heaters (better safe, then sorry - 100W & 50W),
is it better to place them at the bottom of the tank, one above the
other, or one next to another (to cover bigger area)?

2. Most confusing: Let there be light... As I understand, I should
have 50-65W for medium/low light plants. Since I have no hood yet, I
have the flexibility of setting it right the first time.
What would be your recommendations?
What do you think of this:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com seem to have PowerCompact
SmartLite (half 1000'K Ultra-Daylight and half Ultra-Actinic) 30"
1-65W for $89 that takes square pin compact fluorescent bulbs
Is it going to be too bright and will wash out fish colors?
Is it going to be too bright for a tank without CO2 (I am
concerned about algae bloom with so much light and no CO2)
What good alternatives should I consider?

3. Substrate I plan to mix fluorite or laterite (depends what I can
find locally) to gravel.
How much should I add?

4. Fish: I've read numerous recommendations to set plants first, add
some algae eater later, once its set - add other fish. Preliminary
water tests showed that I have ph ~6.8, soft water. I am reluctant to
start with Otos as the first fish since they are so delicate, but it
seems to me livebearers (e.g. mollies) wouldn't feel good in the soft
water without any salt added.
Should I look for plecos?
Would they go well with such fish as danios or rasboras or tetras,
that I would like to add later?
Is 29 gallon a sufficient size for them?
How many should I keep?

Thank you very much for your help in advance!!!
Old 04-10-2004, 05:39 AM
Martin Gross

Elly,

I like the idea of implementing two heaters. However, I would suggest
that both heaters be 100W since, if the 100W heater is set slightly lower
than the 50W heater, the 50W heater will never turn off since it is
insufficient to heat the aquarium on it's own. If you do choose to stay
with the 100/50W combination, make sure the 100W is set slightly warmer than
the 50W so that if the 50W is used, the 100W will be helping the 50W. As
far as positioning... I would suggest either positioning both heaters
vertically on oppisite sides of the aquarium, or, if you are using a power
filter or canister filter, position one heater vertically on each side of
the filter's intake. The basic idea is to insure that the entire aquarium
is virtually the same temperature.
Yes, 65W would give you a good amount of lighting if you do not intend
to use CO2. However, color temperature is an issue. The bulb you are
looking at (Actinic 03/10,000K) is more suitable to marine (sal****er)
aquariums with coral reefs. Ideally, you would want a bulb that is
5000-6700K for a freshwater aquarium with plants. The bulb you mentioned is
much softer and bluish in color (again, not really suited to freshwater
plant's liking). A 6700K is much brighter and more yellow. However, the
6700K really highlights the colors of freshwater fish. As you mentioned
though, the brighter the bulb, the more likely you are to need CO2. If you
would like to browse more lighting options, I would highly recommend you
look at http://www.hellolights.com.
Your substrate should really be dependant upon the plants you plan to
grow. Stem plants (i.e. Hygrophila) aquire most of their nutrients from the
water, not the substrate, so a 20% mixture of flourite with %80 gravel would
be suitable. However, other plants such as Lillies and Ferns are heavily
dependant upon nutrients found in the substrate. For such plants, I would
recommend at least a 50% mixture of gravel/flourite. I have not had any
experience with laterite and thus cannot advise you on its use.
In your 4th questions you mention salt... what?!?! Salt in a planted
aquarium?? Don't even say that! Plecos are excelent, friendly fish. I
have a couple 4 year old Plecos in my tank mixed with rasboras, tetras,
barbs, and danios. As I'm sure you've read, the aquarium size (this applies
to fresh water only) determines, to a large extent, the maximum size a fish
will grow. No, I don't understand how this works either. My 4 year old
Plecos are about 3-4 inches though I have seen them in pet stores in excess
of a foot. The general rule is 1 inch of fish per 1 gallon of water.
Remember to consider the adult size which, as I said, is varible depending
on your aquarium's size. However, I should mention I completely ignored
this rule and have about 50 inches of fish in my 37 gallons aquarium. I am
only successful with this high number of fish becuase I have an high number
of plants with high levels of CO2 thus the plants are able to consume the
nitrates in the water before algae becomes a problem.
I hope this has been of some help to you. If you would like to see my
aquarium, and, more importantly to you, my fish selection, please visit my
web site at http://www.marting83.net/aquarium.htm.

Martin

m...

Old 04-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Dick

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 04:39:21 GMT, "Martin Gross"
wrote:

[...]

"Elly" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I have a 29 gallon tank with one pleco, a second died after a year. I
am a "minalmist" about my tank setups. That is, I use the light
provided which comes out less than 2 watts per gallon. I choose live
plants which thrive with such lighting, no CO2 of course. The plants
depend on fish waste for fertilizer. I do not add salt and have black
mollies in all 5 of my tanks (not by choice, one molly produced 50 fry
and silly me, I let them grow. So now I have mollies in all my tanks
sorted by sex now). I have 3 Plecos in a 75 gallon tank and they are
doing well. I have lost Plecos in 10 gallon tanks in under a year.

Consider buying an electronically controlled heater. Expensive, but I
believe much safer. Size of heater depends on tank size, but also
room temperature. I keep my rooms at 77 degrees so my heaters are
rarely on. If the rooms are not heated you will need much larger
heaters for winter time. Theoretically I like the idea of two
heaters, but I would set them to the same temperature. If one is set
lower it would come into use only if the higher one fails to work (my
experience is heater thermostat stick closed thus overheating a tank)
or if there is a large external temperature drop. In two years I have
never had an electronic thermostat fail, I have had one mechanical
thermostat fail in that time. One thought about two heaters, cutting
the wattage by half for each heater might cause fewer fish burns. In
another thread recently a woman mentioned her plecos would suck on the
heaters and lay along side it resulting in burns. I had noticed my
plecos on the heater and along side. Looking closer I saw what
appears to my eyes to be burn marks. Apparently a mesh cover is
available commercially, but another person noted she had lost 3 of her
fish when their fins or gills (?) got stuck in the mesh. It is hard
to win with this hobby. g

So many things to try, part of the fun and dangers of living with
fish.

dick
Old 05-10-2004, 06:14 AM

Thank you very much for all of your replies. I found flourite and in
addition to your excellent directions it has few indications on how
much is needed on a package.

Now if I could only figure out the light... What do you think of this
one:

24" 1x65W Coralife FRESHWATER Aqualight, 1x 6,700K, -Straight Pin
$53.79

Have anybody had any experience with it?
Still seems a little too bright, but so far it is the smallest K I
could find. The reflector is white and seems very narrow. Does it work
well enough? I would greately appreciate any suggestions/comments.

I also have one more question: where do you usually get the plants?
Mailorder? The selection of plants in 3 stores that I have around here
is simply pathetic: the plants are in very bad condition, very limmited
selection, many come in prearanged mixes without specs on what is
included...

Thanks!!!

Old 23-10-2004, 04:16 PM
js1

On 2004-10-01, Elly wrote:

2. Most confusing: Let there be light... As I understand, I should
have 50-65W for medium/low light plants. Since I have no hood yet, I
have the flexibility of setting it right the first time.
What would be your recommendations?
What do you think of this:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com seem to have PowerCompact
SmartLite (half 1000'K Ultra-Daylight and half Ultra-Actinic) 30"
1-65W for $89 that takes square pin compact fluorescent bulbs
Is it going to be too bright and will wash out fish colors?
Is it going to be too bright for a tank without CO2 (I am
concerned about algae bloom with so much light and no CO2)
What good alternatives should I consider?

The plants won't need the actinic. Take a look at
http://www.aquarium-supply.biz/order...tFRESH_pc.html.

3. Substrate I plan to mix fluorite or laterite (depends what I can
find locally) to gravel.
How much should I add?

Just just put three bags of Eco-Complete in my 29G. The contrast that
the black gravel provides is very nice to look at. Plus no rinsing as
with the flourite. I almost got the Current USA Satellite lighting for
the all black look, but since it comees with the 50/50 bulb, I went with
the Coralife with the daylight only bulb. I didn't have to change out
another brand new bulb since I had done just that with the 20" for my 10G.

http://fins.actwin.com/mirror/fish-popular.html