Old 01-10-2004, 10:42 PM
George Pontis

Default Ich visible on wood ?

There is a piece of dark bogwood in a community tank, to satisfy the needs of a
bristlenose pleco. I submerged the wood in boiling water for 15 minutes before
putting it in the tank, about a month ago.

This wood appears to have tiny white spots on it. They go away if I rub the wood
with a finger. Nothing else in the aquarium has spots like these. I am wondering
if it is possible that I am looking at Ich ? Then again they could be bubbles.
They are consistent in size, about like small grains of salt.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:59 PM
Aquarijen

"George Pontis" wrote in message
There is a piece of dark bogwood in a community tank, to satisfy the needs
of a
bristlenose pleco. I submerged the wood in boiling water for 15 minutes
before
putting it in the tank, about a month ago.

This wood appears to have tiny white spots on it. They go away if I rub
the wood
with a finger. Nothing else in the aquarium has spots like these. I am
wondering
if it is possible that I am looking at Ich ? Then again they could be
bubbles.
They are consistent in size, about like small grains of salt.

Look he
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...i_Bogwood.html
In this article, it says of bogwood:

"b. If the bogwood is not petrified the living wood will rot underwater and
grow a white fungus. This does not harm the fish and can usually be brushed
off. "

Sounds like what you have?
-Jen

Old 05-10-2004, 07:26 AM
George Pontis

In article , says...

"George Pontis" wrote in message
There is a piece of dark bogwood in a community tank ...

Look he
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...i_Bogwood.html
In this article, it says of bogwood:

"b. If the bogwood is not petrified the living wood will rot underwater and
grow a white fungus. This does not harm the fish and can usually be brushed
off. "

Sounds like what you have?
-Jen

Great link Jen, a lot explained there. Some others have also identified it as most
likely a fungus. My thanks to all.

George