Old 03-10-2004, 01:41 AM
Anonymous

Default Seachem Pinnacle+T Reverse Osmosis systems?

http://www.seachem.com/products/prod...e%2BRO_DI.html

I am interested in everyone's general experiences with this water
conditioner. I also have questions about how I would use this as a purified
source of drinking and cooking water in addition to use with my aquariums.
I am having a terrible time with mineral build up in my aquariums plugging
filters and leaving a hard mineral scale on everything so, this is where my
search started.

For myself, I have considered going to bottled water for drinking use but,
it seems like I should be able to "wire" this under my kitchen sink and hook
up some sort of dedicated faucet. Is this a reasonable thing to do? Is it
cost effective? Would I be better off getting a ~$150 5 gallon bottle
dispenser and lugging the bottles around for my own use? The reverse
osmosis seems to offer what I am looking for getting rid of the Arsenic and
other minerals that concern me (we are within EPA limits from our municipal
water source but, we are above the tighter standards that were recently
rejected for political reasons).

Thanks for you assistance!

Old 03-10-2004, 08:18 AM

"Anonymous" wrote in message news:J0H7d.12802$Hz.5388@fed1read04...
[...]

Most impurities can be removed by carbon filtration alone.
The scale and lime is another issue, I had extremely hard water for
many years, I never has a filter clog etc.
I have used RO for drinking water, not for fish/plants as it never
helped for my applications.

You certainly do not need RO for planted aquariums.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 03-10-2004, 05:00 PM
Anonymous

I do agree with you that RO is not needed for a planted aquarium. I would
however like to get away from all the mineral build up. If I use a mix of
RO water with treated tap water, I think my planted aquarium would do fine.
For my aquarium which isn't planted yet, Pure RO would probably work but, I
think I would still mix in some tap water to keep the mineral content there
for the fish (especially since it will probably go planted around Christmas
time).

For my personal drinking water and cooking use, I don't think carbon would
purge some of the metals and other things that concern me.

om...