Old 04-10-2004, 07:45 AM
blank

Default 72-Hour Blackout Cure for Algae is Rubbish

Well, after 72 hours of total darkness in my 4' aquarium I removed the
covers and:
thankfully, the fish are all still alive,
most of the plants are fine (java moss has suffered),
a bit of the algae has gone, but most is alive and healthy.

So to those advocating 72 hours of darkness as a guaranteed algae cure I
say: Nonsense, it is a myth. Don't bother even trying it. I did, and it
doesn't work.

Old 04-10-2004, 10:25 AM
Tasslehoff Burrfoot

Umm, not sure if you did your homework beforehand or just got bad advice
from someone, but it only works for about 95% of BGA's(Blue-green algae) and
greenwater type algae. It will probably not work for
brown(diatomic)/film/spot/fuzz/hair/thread/staghorn/BBA inc.(red types).

Old 04-10-2004, 11:36 AM
Dick

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 15:45:03 +1000, "blank" wrote:

Well, after 72 hours of total darkness in my 4' aquarium I removed the
covers and:
thankfully, the fish are all still alive,
most of the plants are fine (java moss has suffered),
a bit of the algae has gone, but most is alive and healthy.

So to those advocating 72 hours of darkness as a guaranteed algae cure I
say: Nonsense, it is a myth. Don't bother even trying it. I did, and it
doesn't work.

Reassuring to know fish can survive 72 hours without food isn't it?
I tried the darkness routine for only 48 hours to treat Ich. Didn't
work for that either, but I feel better about missing a couple of
feeding times.

dick
Old 04-10-2004, 11:48 AM
blank

"Dick" wrote in message
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 15:45:03 +1000, "blank" wrote:

Well, after 72 hours of total darkness in my 4' aquarium I removed the
covers and:
thankfully, the fish are all still alive,
most of the plants are fine (java moss has suffered),
a bit of the algae has gone, but most is alive and healthy.

So to those advocating 72 hours of darkness as a guaranteed algae cure I
say: Nonsense, it is a myth. Don't bother even trying it. I did, and

it
doesn't work.

Reassuring to know fish can survive 72 hours without food isn't it?
I tried the darkness routine for only 48 hours to treat Ich. Didn't
work for that either, but I feel better about missing a couple of
feeding times.

dick

absolutely i have been biting my nails for 72 hours non-stop and my
wife has been even more uptight but all is well, which is very reassuring
except it doesnt kill the damn algae anyway it was an experiment i had to
try and thank god no harm has been done

Old 04-10-2004, 03:16 PM
Cichlidiot

In rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants blank wrote:
absolutely i have been biting my nails for 72 hours non-stop and my
wife has been even more uptight but all is well, which is very reassuring
except it doesnt kill the damn algae anyway it was an experiment i had to
try and thank god no harm has been done

Fish do perfectly fine for 3 days without feeding unless they are young or
already ailing. Mouthbrooding cichlids go weeks without eating while
holding a clutch of eggs for example. Anyways, since darkness did not work
for your algae, perhaps you should be reconsidering what kind of algae you
have. Of course, microscopic examination would probably be needed to made
an absolute ID, but if you could post pictures (overall tank shot and
closeups are good) to a webpage, perhaps more directed cleanup suggestions
could be given.

Old 04-10-2004, 06:20 PM

"blank" wrote in message ...
Well, after 72 hours of total darkness in my 4' aquarium I removed the
covers and:
thankfully, the fish are all still alive,
most of the plants are fine (java moss has suffered),
a bit of the algae has gone, but most is alive and healthy.

So to those advocating 72 hours of darkness as a guaranteed algae cure I
say: Nonsense, it is a myth. Don't bother even trying it. I did, and it
doesn't work.

For BGA is certainly does, I've never claimed it works with other
algae.
You did not do something right as far as my advice if you were trying
to cure BGA algae.

If you follow the advice it, does work.
If you do not, I cannot help you.

If 3 day blackout kills or otherwise harms plants, there would be no
mail order plant vendors.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 05-10-2004, 12:16 PM
Dick

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 19:48:53 +1000, "blank" wrote:

"Dick" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

At least you tried. Algae takes lots of trying. There are many types
and causes. To get any useful suggestions you will have to post more
specific information about your tank, light schedule and power, fish
population, feeding habits, etc.

dick
Old 12-10-2004, 04:49 PM
Nick Wise

Dick wrote in message . ..
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 19:48:53 +1000, "blank" wrote:

"Dick" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

A blackout does no good if your tank's nutrients are still out of
balance. You need to get those in line, or the algae will never go
away. You have to treat the source.
Old 13-10-2004, 01:46 PM
Geezer From The Freezer

Nick Wise wrote:
A blackout does no good if your tank's nutrients are still out of
balance. You need to get those in line, or the algae will never go
away. You have to treat the source.

I agree with this. I would've personally done some scrubbing on more built
areas, done a major water change and then tried the blackout. Probably
for longer than 3 days, whilst not feeding the fish. They'll pick up
any loose particles.
Old 13-10-2004, 02:00 PM
Ali Day

Nick Wise wrote:
A blackout does no good if your tank's nutrients are still out of
balance. You need to get those in line, or the algae will never go
away. You have to treat the source.

I agree with this. I would've personally done some scrubbing on more built
areas, done a major water change and then tried the blackout. Probably
for longer than 3 days, whilst not feeding the fish. They'll pick up
any loose particles.

Always worked for me.

Old 13-10-2004, 03:57 PM
Ali Day

"Geezer From The Freezer" wrote in message

Ali Day wrote:

Nick Wise wrote:
A blackout does no good if your tank's nutrients are still out of
balance. You need to get those in line, or the algae will never go
away. You have to treat the source.

I agree with this. I would've personally done some scrubbing on more

built
areas, done a major water change and then tried the blackout. Probably
for longer than 3 days, whilst not feeding the fish. They'll pick up
any loose particles.

Always worked for me.

On diatoms?

Yep on a 4 week old seeded tank, but whether it was the darkness that killed
it off, or the plants and filtration kicking in and using up the available
resources could be debated I suppose.

Lawn on top of blackout boing United Kingdom 16 13-02-2005 08:23 PM
Feeding during BGA blackout? Ross Vandegrift Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 11-12-2004 08:49 AM
Total Darkness Cure for Algae blank Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 01-10-2004 09:47 PM
String Algae *cure* *muffin* Ponds 19 09-06-2004 04:16 PM
Algae Algae Algae -=Almazick=- Freshwater Aquaria Plants 16 23-08-2003 10:32 AM