GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   crypt rot infecting other plants? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/84618-crypt-rot-infecting-other-plants.html)

Matt C. 06-10-2004 12:25 AM

crypt rot infecting other plants?

I planted a potted (from a chain pet store) red crypt about 2.5 weeks ago.
over the last three days every leaf rotted off at the base of the stem.--ok
crypt rot. But while cleaning dead leaves out, i realized the entire crypt
root system, was rotted as well, and It seemed to infect the bottom third of
a nearby bacopa plant. I trimmed the bacopa, and replanted as a bunch plant.
Is crypt rot contagious? what causes/stops this type of root/lower stem rot?
all my other plants seem ok. i do have a few pygmy chain sword that have a
few leaves rotting, but not many. any thoughts?
Thanx,

--
Matt C.
http://home.comcast.net/~briarbushbrewery/

[email protected] 06-10-2004 09:03 PM

"Matt C." wrote in message ...
I planted a potted (from a chain pet store) red crypt about 2.5 weeks ago.
over the last three days every leaf rotted off at the base of the stem.--ok
crypt rot. But while cleaning dead leaves out, i realized the entire crypt
root system, was rotted as well, and It seemed to infect the bottom third of
a nearby bacopa plant. I trimmed the bacopa, and replanted as a bunch plant.
Is crypt rot contagious? what causes/stops this type of root/lower stem rot?
all my other plants seem ok. i do have a few pygmy chain sword that have a
few leaves rotting, but not many. any thoughts?
Thanx,

No, not contagious.

Poor conditions will cuase this in many tanks. Dramatic lighting
changes also can cause the plants to melt/lack of water changes and
then a large one etc.

If you have good conditions for the other plants, Crypt melt seldom
occurs.

Regards,
Tom Barr