Old 06-10-2004, 10:40 PM
Paige

Default wattage for new 30 gallon tank??

We have a new 30 gallon tank we want to set up. I would like to have a
broader range of plants to choose from so choosing the right amount of watts
for our tank is the problem right now. We were thinking of a 30'' lite
strip with a 65watt 6500k compact fluorescent by coralife or a 36'' tube at
95watts. I understand the higher the watts the better for the plants.
BUT.... at 95watts on a 30 gallon 17'' deep tank...is that too bright? I
just can't picture how the tank is going to look. I don't want my fish to
be afraid to come out, and I also don't want it to be unappealing to look
at.

Also is it important that the lite strip go the entire length of the tank?

Thanks for any advice
Paige

the tank I currently have is a 12 gallon eclipse with crypts and anubias. I
can't wait to set up this tank the right way this time and have more
fish!!!!!

Old 07-10-2004, 04:13 PM
Ross Vandegrift

On 2004-10-06, Paige wrote:
for our tank is the problem right now. We were thinking of a 30'' lite
strip with a 65watt 6500k compact fluorescent by coralife or a 36'' tube at
95watts. I understand the higher the watts the better for the plants.
BUT.... at 95watts on a 30 gallon 17'' deep tank...is that too bright?

It will definitely cause algae problems if you're not careful about
nutrients and CO2 levels. If you're planning pressurized CO2, you'll
probably get amazing growth out of a 95W light - that's over 3 watts per
gallon. 65W would probably be a lower maintainance tank - I have a 30G
tank with 72W that grows great plants (well, it would, but the fish in
the tank devour live plants and kill them all... so actually, no it
doesn't grow plants... lol)

If it were me, I'd got for the 65W - you'll be able to do DIY CO2, keep
the tank at lower maintainance, and it will still look really nice.
Unless you're after some specifically high lighting requirement plants -
then the 96W would be the only appropriate choice.

As a side note, check out www.ahsupply.com before you buy a fixture.
Their lighting gear is really the highest quality you can find, and for
the money, you can get incredible lighting.

--
Ross Vandegrift

man in the bonds of Hell."

Old 16-10-2004, 03:25 AM
Paige

Yeah, we finally decided on a Coralife compact fluorescent 65watts 24inches
long. My only concern now is that the light doesn't reach all the way to
the corners of the tank. Are the plants on the edges going to get enough
light? What I've done right now is keep the less light demanding plants on
the outer edges of the back of the tank. I hope that the algae won't take
over. All of my plants from my previous 12 gallon tank were transferred
over to the new one....hope they make the change!!

Paige

Old 16-10-2004, 03:30 AM
Paige

Thank you Ross for your reply. I apologize for the delay in responding.
I've been so involved with this new tank. I think we've pretty much gotten
everything in there. Now we just need to kick back and see if everything
survives.

We ended up getting a 24 inch long 65 watt compact fluorescent.

Our next step is to adjust the tank temp and pH very slowly cuz we want
Discus!!!!!!!!

Paige

Old 16-10-2004, 04:48 AM
Brian S.

Good point Paige.

I would say you are wise in putting plants that require less light, such as
java ferns, in the corners that don't receive as much light.

I wish you luck in the algae challenge .

So far, I have gone three days now since cleaning my tank and the algae
still hasn't grown back nearly as rampant as it first did.

The plants are also letting out quite a bit of oxygen from the leaves, some
of the water sprite and anacharis let out a small bubble of oxygen about
every 3-4 seconds.

Brian S.

ink.net...

Old 16-10-2004, 05:40 AM
Paige

Wow that sounds great!! I'm only about three days into most of the plants.
I also think I'm going need more CO2 for this tank...going to measure it
tomorrow.

Old 23-10-2004, 07:41 AM
Jiann-Ming Su

http://fins.actwin.com/mirror/plant-lighting.html