GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant growing in intake tube (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/84683-plant-growing-intake-tube.html)

Dick 07-10-2004 11:36 AM

Plant growing in intake tube

I couldn't believe my eyes. I was cleaning a Marineland 330 power
filter. I noticed roots coming out the filter intake tube guard.
When I pulled the guard off the tube, there was a growing plant about
8 inches long and surprisingly healthy looking. The roots growingout
the guard were the only clue I had to its existence. It didn't even
limit the water flow.

I don't know the plant name, but it is a single stem with round leaves
growing off the stem. They grow tall, maybe inches or more and I have
them growing around the intake tubes to mask the tubes.

Just sharing a curiosity, no problem to solve.

dick

Dave M. Picklyk 08-10-2004 08:39 AM

That's pretty cool...and you never seen this type of plant in your aquascape
before? Weird. I don't have plants growing that I've never seen before but
I've been getting crypts popping up all over the aquarium. I was thinning
out the ludwigia and found a few crypts growing underneath. These things
just send shooters for miles under the substrate and then popup without
regard for all your flora planning!

Dave. :)

Dick 08-10-2004 11:37 AM

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 06:39:00 GMT, "Dave M. Picklyk"
wrote:

That's pretty cool...and you never seen this type of plant in your aquascape
before? Weird. I don't have plants growing that I've never seen before but
I've been getting crypts popping up all over the aquarium. I was thinning
out the ludwigia and found a few crypts growing underneath. These things
just send shooters for miles under the substrate and then popup without
regard for all your flora planning!

Dave. :)

Hi Dave, I do have the plants growing around the intake tube as I
mentioned near the last sentence. They grow tall and are rather
prolific so the mask the tube. Important for me they are "low light."
I guess they take less light than I would have guessed.

I have crypts as part of my forest. They send out runners all the
time. I have to thin them monthly.

dick

.. .

Fish-Forums.com 08-10-2004 06:44 PM

Sounds like an anubias!!

Want to win a FREE new co2 system or a lighting system check out our
forum for our newest contest coming up

http://www.fish-forums.com

Http://www.aquatic-store.com

wrote:

That's pretty cool...and you never seen this type of plant in your aquascape
before? Weird. I don't have plants growing that I've never seen before but
I've been getting crypts popping up all over the aquarium. I was thinning
out the ludwigia and found a few crypts growing underneath. These things
just send shooters for miles under the substrate and then popup without
regard for all your flora planning!

Dave. :)

.. .