Old 10-10-2004, 03:07 PM
Nicholas Murray

Default PMDD dosing question

I've set up my planted tank after a hiatus of 3 years and have forgotten
some basic facts.

56 l tank
1W/ l lighting.
DIY CO2 achieving 20ppm.
moderately dense planting with Limnophila sessiflora and unknown (to me),
medium-sized Echinodorus.
dosing with 4 drops PMDD per day
laterite balls under the swords; coarse gravel substrate.

Plants pearling a lot and growing quite well.
A stable, tiny patch of cyanobacteria (on a plant stem at the surface right
under a light) and a bit more filamentous green algae than I'd like. Some
BBA fading away. No fish yet.

The NO3 and Fe remain unmeasurable after 2 weeks of this regimen. What
levels of both of these nutrients are desirable? Anyone want to take a stab
at an appropriate PMDD dosing rate?

Thanks in advance,
Nick.

Old 10-10-2004, 07:23 PM
Rick

"Nicholas Murray" arwenick"AT"acay.com.au wrote in message
[...]

I think the recommended dose is 2 drops per 10 gallons so you are in the
ball park.

Rick

Old 12-10-2004, 05:36 AM
Allyb

I just went through this. Very frustrating. I was way way underdosing at
first. You should use the fertilizer calculator to see how much you're
actually adding to the tank in ppm with the solution you've made.
http://atlas.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art...osage_calc.htm I just ran it at
1 tsp KNO3 in 300ml water (per the recipe) and it said that 1ml would add
..05ppm nitrates, and you're just adding drops!
PMDD seems to be adding such a tiny amount, I don't quite understand how
you're supposed to get the levels up. I've made a solution with just
nitrates (I use the stump remover). I have a 55 gallon, and I mixed 6 Tbsp
(6 Tbsps!) with 250 ml of water, which is supposed to be 1.2 ppm per ml
added to the tank. I'm adding 20ml a day just to keep my levels at around
5ppm. I need to test the solution to see if it's really as strong as the
calculator says it is, I'm suspicious that it's weaker. Anyway, according
to a poster in this group, a heavily planted aquarium can consume 10ppm per
day, so at the pmdd rates, you're not even teasing them.

I wish someone else here could explain this. I've often wondered why the
recipe seems so weak.

Good luck! Allison

Old 12-10-2004, 03:09 PM
Happy'Cam'per

Go for 2 ml a day, or 4 ml every 2 days etc etc.
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 12-10-2004, 10:58 PM
Rick

"Rick" wrote in message

[...]

from the Krib site, using the Sears and Conlin. I dose 2 drops per 10
gallons. YMMV

Rick

As a starting point, here's a three point plan for setting PMDD doses.

The amount or "size" in ml (milli-liters) of your daily PMDD dose should
eventually be governed by monitoring Fe (iron) levels that accumulate and
equilibrate in your aquarium over a period of time (more on this later).
But, to get started, for each ten gallons, try around 1/12 ml of PMDD a day
(roughly 2 drops). A 29 gallon tank would then get 1/4 ml a day (roughly 6
drops). If you don't do many partial water changes, dose less. If you have a
"high tech", densely planted, CO2 injected, VHO lit tank, you might want to
double the dose to 1/6 ml of PMDD per 10 gallons a day (roughly 4 drops).

Most of the PMDD nutrient ratios set by Conlin and Sears will work for a
variety of conditions. PMDD has been deliberately formulated so that if
aquarium Fe concentration is proper, other nutrient concentrations should
fall into place. Really, the only common exception to this is NO3 (nitrate);
you may need to tinker with the ratio of KNO3 to other PMDD ingredients.
Adjusting this ratio will eventually be governed by NO3 levels that
accumulate and equilibrate in your aquarium over a period of time (more on
this later).

To get started, if you have around 5mg/ltr of natural NO3 already in your
aquarium, initially use the standard 1 tablespoon KNO3 per 1/2 liter PMDD
mix.

If your natural NO3 is much higher, initially don't add any KNO3 to your
PMDD.

If you have next to no NO3, you might initially boost the KNO3 to 2 or even
3 tablespoons per 1/2 liter of PMDD.

Lastly, as you go along, you'll need to monitor buildup of Fe and NO3 in
your aquarium. Then, watch how plants and unwanted algae respond. As each
daily dose adds nutrients, a portion of some will accumulate until
eventually you'll reach an equilibrium level. This ramp up and stabilizing
process will take awhile (weeks) to occur. Be prepared to adjust your dosage
size and KNO3 ratio as you gather feedback.

Old 13-10-2004, 02:27 PM
Nicholas Murray

So the PMDD doses recommended vary from 2 to 40 drops per day for a 54 l
tank?
All I can say is that 4drops/day has not yet allowed measurable iron or
nitrate in the tank.
I'll experiment.

Nick.

"

Old 13-10-2004, 10:06 PM
Rick

"Nicholas Murray" arwenick"AT"acay.com.au wrote in message
So the PMDD doses recommended vary from 2 to 40 drops per day for a 54 l
tank?
All I can say is that 4drops/day has not yet allowed measurable iron or
nitrate in the tank.
I'll experiment.

Nick.

and experiment is what you have to do. I use the 2 drops per 10 gallon rule
in my 77g planted tank however I also dry dose some ferts in particular KN03
to keep my levels up. There are a lot of variables such as density of
planting, amount of growth etc. The dose rate is simply a starting
guideline. INHO 40 drops in 54 litres of PMDD will simply result in a major
algae outbreak however YMMV.

Rick

Old 14-10-2004, 12:39 AM

"Nicholas Murray" arwenick"AT"acay.com.au wrote in message ...
So the PMDD doses recommended vary from 2 to 40 drops per day for a 54 l
tank?
All I can say is that 4drops/day has not yet allowed measurable iron or
nitrate in the tank.
I'll experiment.

Nick.

You might find that adding this will not supply the things you need
for good plant growth if you have CO2 injection.
This was based on the premise that PO4 and Fe at non limiting
levels(for plants) will cause algae.

This is not true.

This was also devised for low light tanks, 1.5-2w/gal of normal output
FL's lights.

It also suggest low CO2, 10-15ppm or so, 20-30ppm is better.
Many folks need to add PO4 to have good growth, unless your tap water
has 1.0ppm or more and you do 50% weekly changes, you'll need to add
it as well.

http://www.aquatic-plants.org/est_index1.html

Regards,
Tom Barr