Old 14-10-2004, 12:07 PM
Shankar Patel

Default Self-sustained aqua life in a 1000 Liter (250 G) tank

Hi. I am a novice in this field. I have recently built a 1,000 Liter
tank (approx-250 G, dimension 7Ft * 3Ft, 2Ft deep) in my garden
(Ahmedabad, India). It is built with bricks/mortar and covered in/out
by glaze tiles/glass mosaic. Yearly temparature varies between 5 to 45
degree centigrades. Annual rainfall (June-Sept) 25 inches. Tank is
open to sky.

I need some help. Common/scientific names ***AND*** pictures of aqua
life (including plants) that can be SELF-sustained with minimal
intervention.

Pictures are important, because there seems tobe lot of confusion
regarding names. ALSO, the rider "SELF-sustained" is important,
because the tank may have tobe left unttended for few days whenever we
are not at home.

It all began 2 months ago, when I put an old bath tub in the garden
with some grass and 50 guppy fishes. After one month I put a turtle in
it. I have NEVER fed anything to fishes or turtle. NOW, there is a lot
of algae in it.

Since past 5 days, I have (in the new tank) some water grass, some
algae, one fresh water turtle (2kg weight) and hundreds of guppy
fishes (1-2 inch long fish supplied by our malaria department to
prevent growth of mosquitos).

The reason for this posting is that, most of information on net is
regarding indoor aquaria of much smaller sizes. Advise regarding
design/layout of aqua life in new tank is also welcome.

Thanking in anticipation.

- Shankar

Old 15-10-2004, 04:57 PM
Polarhound

Does that count even if we built a 280g pond in the bedroom of a
single-wide trailer? (And yes, we did do it. It houses a 4' redtail
catfish.)

Old 15-10-2004, 08:30 PM
Sue

Of course it does - I helped my brother build a glass fronted semi-raised
tank in his conservatory last year - its 11 foot long by over 4' wide & deep
so over 1000 gallons. Pond filters work out cheaper than tank supplies ;oP