GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Adding plants to existing 20G tank? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/85208-adding-plants-existing-20g-tank.html)

ATD 19-10-2004 10:24 PM

Adding plants to existing 20G tank?

I have a cycled 20G tank (high) that currently has some Java Fern and
hornwort thriving. Substrate is plain gravel 1 inch deep.

Since I'd like to add rooted plants what would be the best way to
proceed? Do I add flourite to the existing gravel bed to build it up
or can I plant the new plants in the gravel and put laterite balls
near the base of the new plants? I've read of others who keep their
plants in small clay pots in the tanks.

Thanks.

Andy

Brian S. 19-10-2004 11:36 PM

Well,

Since you have gravel, I would almost say that you wouldn't really need to
put anything down.

I have quite a few plants in my 29 gallon tank and don't have any type of
fertilization except carbon dioxide bubbles.

If you have enough fish in the tank, they should create enough of the
nutrients needed plus some of the fish food.

Just my two cents.

Brian S.

om...

ATD 20-10-2004 05:11 AM

From what I've read the recommendation is for some quality substrate
for rooted plants. If I can get away with perhaps adding laterite to
my existing substrate then so much the better. I am concerned that I
only have an inch of gravel and most planted tanks are supposed to
have 3. I picked up a box of laterite and it calls for adding 1 ounce
for every gallon of water. In my tank thay would not add much more
substrate.

Andy

"

www.Fish-Forums.com 21-10-2004 08:06 PM

I would personally add eco complete as it will not could the water
like flourite.
I suggest 2.5- 3 inches from by preferences.

Marc
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______
Want to win a FREE new co2 system or a lighting system check out our
forum for our newest contest coming up

http://www.fish-forums.com

Http://www.aquatic-store.com

js1 29-10-2004 05:55 AM

On 2004-10-20, ATD wrote:
From what I've read the recommendation is for some quality substrate
for rooted plants. If I can get away with perhaps adding laterite to
my existing substrate then so much the better. I am concerned that I
only have an inch of gravel and most planted tanks are supposed to
have 3. I picked up a box of laterite and it calls for adding 1 ounce
for every gallon of water. In my tank thay would not add much more
substrate.

Or, just get some plants that aren't as picky, like some low light crypts.
I think Amazon Swords are pretty picky about substrate.

js1 29-10-2004 05:57 AM

On 2004-10-21, www.Fish-Forums.com wrote:
I would personally add eco complete as it will not could the water
like flourite.
I suggest 2.5- 3 inches from by preferences.

FYI, sixty pounds (3 bags) of eco-complete will fill a 30"x12" tank
(20L, 29, 37) with 2.5" deep.