Old 20-10-2004, 11:50 PM
Brian S.

Default Potassium Permanganate and Plants

Hey All,

I've read where you can dip live plants in a 1:20 bleach-to-water solution
to kill bacteria, parasites, algae, etc.

However, I am finding all kinds of different opinions regarding the length
that they should be dipped. Some say no more than 2 minutes while other
says up to 20 minutes depending upon the type of plant.

I was wondering if Potassium Permanganate will work at killing algae as well
or if bleach only can do this. I see that the potassium substance can kill
the parasites and such, but haven't found a site that lists algae as one of
those items taken care of.

In addition to this, I dipped a few plants that I didn't care too much about
that had quite a bit of algae on them yesterday. I had them in there for
probably 20 minutes just because I could still see some algae on the plant
leaves.

So, if you can still see algae on the plant leaves, does this indicate that
the algae still on the leaves is alive and will prosper again after putting
it back into the aquarium? I didn't know of the algae is basically dead
after a bleach dip for a few minutes even if it still clings onto the plant
leaves.

I've decided that I probably will completely take down my tank over the
weekend, dip the plants in a solution to get rid of the algae, and then
completely take apart the tank and wash it down really good too.

I should be getting the BIO-Wheel filter tomorrow but I don't want algae to
start growing on the BIO-Wheel and cause more headache.

Brian S.

Old 21-10-2004, 04:21 AM
The Drunken Lord

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 22:50:28 GMT, "Brian S."
wrote:

[...]

You might have to take such a plant and put it in conditions where you
know algae will grow to see--but even then, if there were algae, I
guess it could have another source.

So, if you can still see algae on the plant leaves, does this indicate that
the algae still on the leaves is alive and will prosper again after putting
it back into the aquarium? I didn't know of the algae is basically dead
after a bleach dip for a few minutes even if it still clings onto the plant
leaves.

I've decided that I probably will completely take down my tank over the
weekend, dip the plants in a solution to get rid of the algae, and then
completely take apart the tank and wash it down really good too.

I should be getting the BIO-Wheel filter tomorrow but I don't want algae to
start growing on the BIO-Wheel and cause more headache.

I can't answer any of your questions. But if you can somehow cover
the biowheel so it doesn't see much light, algae shouldn't grow on it,
and that shouldn't be hard to do with aluminum foil or something.
Old 21-10-2004, 04:40 AM
Brian S.

Bring up a good point about the Bio-wheel and the shade....

I have been contemplating taking off the 65 watt light that I have and
putting the original 20 watt light back on the tank with the injected Co2 to
see if it makes much of any difference.

I just went home on my break and noticed that the water seems just about as
bad as it was just on Tuesday. Just seems like a constant up-hill battle.

Brian s.

Old 21-10-2004, 07:10 AM
Kay

I just used it for plants and a few 10 gallons. I read alot before using
it, here is a link to a site that inspired me to waer a full face shield
and a mask over my mouth.

http://www.arborman.com/pproarky.htm

Here is a snip of eye exposure.

What Are Its Effects On My Eyes?
Severe. Very severe. Please pay particular attention here. KMnO4 is
capable of producing instant blindness. It takes very little. This can
be triggered by a slosh of concentrated PP solution or by a rogue bit of
dust landing in your eyes. When the eyes are involved, seconds count.
Don’t screw around getting to an "official" eyewash station or hose.
Simply dunk your head into the pond and leave it there while forcing
your eyes open. Come up for a breath of fresh air, have a brief scream,
and dunk again. When you come up for air the second time, yell for a
hose and clear running water, but don’t wait for it. Your first priority
is to get wet ASAP. Even if you have just dosed the pond with a 4 ppm
KMnO4 dose, you are STILL far better off using pondwater for eyewash
than waiting those precious seconds to get to a "clean" hose. You will
very likely wind-up with the grand-daddy of all eye infections from the
less-than-perfectly-sterile pond water, but then again, you’ll still
have your sight. Any doctor worth his salt can treat an eye *infection*
pretty confidently... but a completely fried eyeball and cornea will
forever be a waste. Splash-proof goggles should be considered the bare
minimum for handling this compound. A wraparound splash-proof face
shield would be very preferable.

Kay

Brian S. wrote:
[...]

Where to get potassium permanganate, and will it hurt frog eggs? Pam Gibbs Ponds 3 22-07-2004 07:39 PM
Where to get potassium permanganate, and will it hurt frog eggs? Pam Gibbs Ponds 5 21-07-2004 07:04 AM
potassium permanganate *muffin* Ponds 3 15-05-2003 11:44 PM
The Ultimate Potassium Permanganate FAQ Jim Ponds 3 07-05-2003 06:44 PM
Potassium Permanganate question ande Ponds 16 11-04-2003 10:44 PM