Old 21-10-2004, 02:56 AM
Allyb

Default nitrates and dead fishies

Ok, started off with pmdd, dosing drops per day, but read that you need to
keep 5 ppm nitrates in the tank. Plants seem to be consuming tons, so I'm
adding up to 20ppm per day (per advice in this forum), and I can't keep the
levels up. Fish start getting sick and dying, and I realize I'm poisoning
them. Discontinue fertilzation, water changes, everybody revives, getting
more algae now. The question is, if I can't add enough nitrates to keep the
levels in the tank where they belong, is adding amounts that won't hurt fish
going to help anything at this seemingly high rate of consumption. Also, if
the plants were really consuming that much, what was hurting the fish? The
high levels for a few hours til the plants took it up, or some kind of
byproduct? Thanks! Allison

Old 21-10-2004, 11:07 AM
Happy'Cam'per

You can keep the Nitrates in a range of 20ppm the entire week, don't dose
20ppm per day, this certainly will cause trouble. Lets say your plants are
consuming 5ppm per day, so it would be ok to just add 5ppm no3 per day.
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 21-10-2004, 03:05 PM

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:56:56 -0400, "Allyb" wrote:

Ok, started off with pmdd, dosing drops per day, but read that you need to
keep 5 ppm nitrates in the tank. Plants seem to be consuming tons, so I'm
adding up to 20ppm per day (per advice in this forum), and I can't keep the
levels up. Fish start getting sick and dying, and I realize I'm poisoning
them. Discontinue fertilzation, water changes, everybody revives, getting
more algae now. The question is, if I can't add enough nitrates to keep the
levels in the tank where they belong, is adding amounts that won't hurt fish
going to help anything at this seemingly high rate of consumption. Also, if
the plants were really consuming that much, what was hurting the fish? The
high levels for a few hours til the plants took it up, or some kind of
byproduct? Thanks! Allison

Check your test kit. Had a bad one a few months ago and it darn near
got me into a lot trouble (NO3). Compare your results against a known
standard. Seachem has a test sample in their kits. You may want to
look at PO4, Fe etc. to see if they are in balance or within range.

good luck.
Old 22-10-2004, 02:05 AM
Allyb

wrote in message
[...]

I have been meaning to do that. I should try the seachem.
Thanks!

Old 22-10-2004, 02:08 AM
Allyb

As the other poster mentioned, I may have a bad test kit, but assuming it's
correct, when I add 20 ppm per day, the test reads 0ppm, always. As I write
I realize it must be my kit...... I've tried adding a few drops of my NO3
solution to the test tube, and it goes off the scale, so It is working to
some extent.

Old 29-10-2004, 04:07 AM
Brother Numepsy

Get more fish, and make sure to add Cycle or Stress Zyme to your tank weekly
to keep the nitrifying bacteria population up. Nitrate is a byproduct of the
nitrogen cycle. You must have allot of plants if the byproduct from your
nitrifying bacteria is not enough.

"Allyb" wrote in message
[...]

Carbon Monoxide and fishies groovy Ponds 1 06-05-2005 10:16 AM
oooooooooooooooooo baby fishies!! *muffin* Ponds 4 29-05-2004 08:05 PM
Time for fishies... AngrieWoman Ponds 20 18-08-2003 07:13 PM
glow in the dark fishies Leandra Freshwater Aquaria Plants 43 08-07-2003 01:20 AM
glow in the dark fishies b Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 04-07-2003 10:32 AM