Old 22-10-2004, 02:04 PM
Bill Stock

Default Nutrafin Bubble Counter

My bubble counter did not come with any directions. How deep should I place
it in the tank?

I'm not getting any bubbles and there is about 6" of water in the airline.
My C02 reactor (O.J. Container) is swolen but does not seem to be producing
enough pressure to force the water out of the tube. I noticed a slight yeast
smell around the container, so I may have a leak around my tubing seal.

TIA

Old 22-10-2004, 03:36 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Stock
My bubble counter did not come with any directions. How deep should I place
it in the tank?

I'm not getting any bubbles and there is about 6" of water in the airline.
My C02 reactor (O.J. Container) is swolen but does not seem to be producing
enough pressure to force the water out of the tube. I noticed a slight yeast
smell around the container, so I may have a leak around my tubing seal.

TIA
Make sure the device is completely submerged - other that that I don't think it matters how deep you place it (you could argue that the deeper it is placed, the more time there is for escaping bubbles from the top of the device to be absorbed, but I would say the benefit of this is negligible)

It can take up to 72 hours from the time the device is primed to when the first bubbles make an appearance. If you think you have a leak, try painting some children's bubble mix around the seal to see if gas is escaping.

Old 22-10-2004, 06:20 PM
Bill Stock

"Gerryc" wrote in message

Bill Stock Wrote:
[...]

Thanks Gerry,

What do you mean by primed, yeast mixed? No directions like I said.

I guess Catnip bubble mix will have to do for my test.

--
Gerryc

Old 22-10-2004, 07:36 PM
Dmitri Priimak

My guess is that you CO2 must be leaking somewhere. Even though you O.J.
container is swollen it may not have enough pressure because it could be
leaking at the cup. I had this problem. You can solve it by using thread
seal tape. Also, if you have a check valve between you yeast bottle and
diffuser you my want to submerge in a cup of watter and see if your CO2
escapes there. Basically any connector may leak and you may want to
check them all until you find a problem.

Dmitri Priimak

Old 22-10-2004, 08:47 PM
gdbj

I got a Nutrafin CO2 counter kit. I had to return 2 boxes to the store
before getting one that had all the pieces in it! I wonder if there is a
connection? hmm... quality control?

-gdbj

Old 22-10-2004, 10:38 PM
Brian S.

Yeast takes a while to completely be ready to start using the mixture.

Just making sure, but are you using yeast in sugar water? The yeast will
use the sugar to create the Co2.

In addition to that, the space between the top of your bottle and the water
line is oxygen, so the yeast will have to use up all that oxygen before the
major Co2 starts.

Brian S.

Old 23-10-2004, 01:11 AM
Bill Stock

"Brian S." wrote in message
Yeast takes a while to completely be ready to start using the mixture.

Just making sure, but are you using yeast in sugar water? The yeast will
use the sugar to create the Co2.

In addition to that, the space between the top of your bottle and the

water
line is oxygen, so the yeast will have to use up all that oxygen before

the
major Co2 starts.

Brian S.

Thanks Brian,

I was wondering how much space to leave at the top of the bottle. Maybe I
should have made a double batch.

Old 23-10-2004, 01:16 AM
Bill Stock

"Dmitri Priimak" wrote in message
My guess is that you CO2 must be leaking somewhere. Even though you O.J.
container is swollen it may not have enough pressure because it could be
leaking at the cup. I had this problem. You can solve it by using thread
seal tape. Also, if you have a check valve between you yeast bottle and
diffuser you my want to submerge in a cup of watter and see if your CO2
escapes there. Basically any connector may leak and you may want to
check them all until you find a problem.

Thanks,

I siliconed my check valve into the top of the container. So the CV is
inside the OJ container and the nipple sticks through the lid. Could be the
lid or the CV leaking. I also noticed that it takes a LOT of pressure
through the CV to produce bubbles in the tank. I tested this by blowing on
the check valve.

Old 23-10-2004, 03:09 PM
Cichlidiot

gdbj wrote:
I got a Nutrafin CO2 counter kit. I had to return 2 boxes to the store
before getting one that had all the pieces in it! I wonder if there is a
connection? hmm... quality control?

Call me cynical, but I'd be more inclined to suspect theft at the retailer
than quality control issues at the manufacturer. It's not a sealed box, so
would be pretty easy for someone to sneak parts out. I suppose the boxes
could also accidently open during transport or such and lose items then.
But some retailers are having such an issue with theft of certain items
that they remove them to behind the counter. Anyways, like I said, it's
the cynical viewpoint, but from my experience, the three kits I got via a
mail order only shop had all the parts intact so it seems like the
manufacturer is packing everything correctly.

Old 23-10-2004, 04:08 PM
Bill Stock

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
My bubble counter did not come with any directions. How deep should I

place
it in the tank?

I'm not getting any bubbles and there is about 6" of water in the airline.
My C02 reactor (O.J. Container) is swolen but does not seem to be

producing
enough pressure to force the water out of the tube. I noticed a slight

yeast
smell around the container, so I may have a leak around my tubing seal.

TIA

I'm beginning to think my check valve is the problem. If I squeeze my
reactor I get bubbles in the tank. Otherwise it sits there looking big and
fat with no bubbles. It hasn't exploded yet, so I must be getting periodic
farts of C02. I don't feel like sitting there for two hours to validate my
theory.

What brand of check valve is decent?

Old 23-10-2004, 09:36 PM
Dmitri Priimak

Bill Stock wrote:
"Dmitri Priimak" wrote in message

My guess is that you CO2 must be leaking somewhere. Even though you O.J.
container is swollen it may not have enough pressure because it could be
leaking at the cup. I had this problem. You can solve it by using thread
seal tape. Also, if you have a check valve between you yeast bottle and
diffuser you my want to submerge in a cup of watter and see if your CO2
escapes there. Basically any connector may leak and you may want to
check them all until you find a problem.

Thanks,

I siliconed my check valve into the top of the container. So the CV is
inside the OJ container and the nipple sticks through the lid. Could be the
lid or the CV leaking.

My guess is that it is lid. Use thread seal tape.

I also noticed that it takes a LOT of pressure
through the CV to produce bubbles in the tank. I tested this by blowing on
the check valve.

I am not sure that it would make any difference once the steady pressure
established.
However my first check valve was also quite tight (you've got the spring
loaded one, isn't) and I replaced it with the another one less tight.

--
Dmitri Priimak

Old 28-10-2004, 06:25 AM
Cichlidiot

gdbj wrote:
yeah, you're probably right. I wonder why they don't seal the boxes?

Probably they don't think people would be stealing parts from such a low
priced item, so why bother sealing the box. But then AquaClears are pretty
low priced too and I've heard of part theft problems with them until Hagen
sealed the box.