Old 24-10-2004, 03:04 PM
NetMax

"Tom" wrote in message
news:jeVed.938$HA.108@attbi_s01...

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I started up a plant tank with some pond plants about five weeks ago.

I've
been doing this slowly, adding Trace Elements, C02, Macro Nutrients,

etc.
This past week the plants started looking pretty good, although I

think my
light levels are still too low (55 gal : 144 CF Watts). But now I

have
snails. Stagnant Pond Snails I think. Could these things take five

weeks
hatch?

I want to make this a Community Tank once I'm happy with the plants,

so
what
tropical fish will eat the snails. I like the Clown Loaches, but they

will
grow too big for this tank. Do any of the smaller Loaches like

snails,
maybe
a Yoyo Loach?

I ahve three yo-yo loaches and they do jut fine. They are said to top

out
at about 4" to 5". My largest, which I assume by the body shape and

size is
a female, has grown considerably in the short time I have had them.

From
about 3" to 4.5", but I feed a live food diet and there were lots of

snails
in the tank when I put them in. None now.

Tom

The Zebra loach tends to stay a bit smaller than the yoyo and by
reputation, is a slightly better snailer, but results vary by individual.
There are also fish which are very effective snail egg eaters, which is
another approach to take.
--
www.NetMax.tk

Old 24-10-2004, 06:18 PM
Bill Stock

Default Snail Eaters - Not Clown Loaches

I started up a plant tank with some pond plants about five weeks ago. I've
been doing this slowly, adding Trace Elements, C02, Macro Nutrients, etc.
This past week the plants started looking pretty good, although I think my
light levels are still too low (55 gal : 144 CF Watts). But now I have
snails. Stagnant Pond Snails I think. Could these things take five weeks to

Old 25-10-2004, 12:44 AM
Gene Heitman

I had a snail problem in two ten gallon tanks. I added a pair of dwarf
loaches to one and three to the other and the snails have almost completely
disappeared. Dwarf loaches are the smallest loaches available but they are
more expensive and less common than the zebra loach which should also do the
job. I have found the dwarf loaches to be very well behaved and fun to
watch. They have not disturbed the other fish in the tank at all. You can
read more about them at Loaches Online (http://www.loaches.com/).

Gene Heitman

Old 25-10-2004, 01:29 AM
Bill Stock

"NetMax" wrote in message
.. .

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
[...]

Like Bettas?

I did consider them, but I keep reading that so many community fish can be
fin nippers.

--
www.NetMax.tk

Old 25-10-2004, 01:30 AM
Bill Stock

"Gene Heitman" wrote in message
I had a snail problem in two ten gallon tanks. I added a pair of dwarf
loaches to one and three to the other and the snails have almost

completely
disappeared. Dwarf loaches are the smallest loaches available but they

are
more expensive and less common than the zebra loach which should also do

the
job. I have found the dwarf loaches to be very well behaved and fun to
watch. They have not disturbed the other fish in the tank at all. You

can
read more about them at Loaches Online (http://www.loaches.com/).

Thanks, great site. More reading.

Old 26-10-2004, 12:48 AM
Gail Futoran

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I started up a plant tank with some pond plants about five

weeks ago. I've
been doing this slowly, adding Trace Elements, C02, Macro

Nutrients, etc.
This past week the plants started looking pretty good,

although I think my
light levels are still too low (55 gal : 144 CF Watts).

But now I have
snails. Stagnant Pond Snails I think. Could these things

take five weeks to
hatch?

I want to make this a Community Tank once I'm happy with

the plants, so what
tropical fish will eat the snails. I like the Clown

Loaches, but they will
grow too big for this tank. Do any of the smaller Loaches

like snails, maybe
a Yoyo Loach?

In my tanks my Skunk botia seem to do a better
snail-eating job than the Yo-Yo loaches (different
species are in different tanks).

Gail

---
10/15/2004

Old 26-10-2004, 05:15 PM
Seb

Bill Stock wrote:
I started up a plant tank with some pond plants about five weeks ago. I've
been doing this slowly, adding Trace Elements, C02, Macro Nutrients, etc.
This past week the plants started looking pretty good, although I think my
light levels are still too low (55 gal : 144 CF Watts). But now I have
snails. Stagnant Pond Snails I think. Could these things take five weeks to
hatch?

I want to make this a Community Tank once I'm happy with the plants, so what
tropical fish will eat the snails. I like the Clown Loaches, but they will
grow too big for this tank. Do any of the smaller Loaches like snails, maybe
a Yoyo Loach?

Puffers are a possibility, but of course they eat tankmates as well as
snails...

Seb
Old 27-10-2004, 01:52 AM
NetMax

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

"NetMax" wrote in message
.. .

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
[...]

I was thinking about other loaches, but the sci.name escapes me. They
are very similar to a botia body shape except they have a more elongated
snout. Perhaps someone else can provide the name. Many cichlids will
also do the job, and there are many to choose from which like soft acidic
water and don't get too big.
--
www.NetMax.tk

Old 27-10-2004, 06:53 PM
Curtis

I was kind of wondering if Rainbow fish don't eat snails. I set up a
planted 75g tank about 6 weeks ago and about 2 weeks ago started seeing
snails (I counted as many as 10). They typically spent the better part of
the day scavenging the glass and I really didn't see them as an issue just
yet. Last week I added 6 Rainbowfish to the tank and this week I can only
see three of the larger (which at this point is about 1/4") and I've found
at least one empty shell.

Maybe it was just a coincidence. I also have 12 zebra Danios a 5" Angel
fish and a 5" Pleco in the aquarium.

"Commander Vimes" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:18:31 -0400, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

I started up a plant tank with some pond plants about five weeks ago.

I've
been doing this slowly, adding Trace Elements, C02, Macro Nutrients, etc.
This past week the plants started looking pretty good, although I think

my
light levels are still too low (55 gal : 144 CF Watts). But now I have
snails. Stagnant Pond Snails I think. Could these things take five weeks

hatch?

I want to make this a Community Tank once I'm happy with the plants, so

what
tropical fish will eat the snails. I like the Clown Loaches, but they

will
grow too big for this tank. Do any of the smaller Loaches like snails,

maybe
a Yoyo Loach?

I have a couple of Botia Histrionica's (Golden Zebra loach) - within 3
weeks of putting them in a snail infested 120 litre tank, the whole
tank was clear. These are active during the day and also swim in the
mid-section of the tank.

Other bonuses include they only grow to 10cm (3.5 inches) maximum.

Hope this helps,

Vimes

Old 02-11-2004, 01:32 AM
Scott

I have had two clown loachs for the last six months in my aquarium. they eat
all the snails that were in my aquarium. they have barely grown in the time
that I have had them, so they could be alright for your tank for quite a
while.

Scott

Old 02-11-2004, 06:25 AM
js1

I just crush the snails when the crawl on the glass. Your fish will
eat the unprotected snail flesh.

Old 02-11-2004, 12:49 PM
Victor Martinez

Scott wrote:
all the snails that were in my aquarium. they have barely grown in the time
that I have had them, so they could be alright for your tank for quite a
while.

Whereas one of mine grew like a weed in 6 months. S/he is now a good 6
inches, while her smalling "sibling" (they were all the same size and
from the same source when I got them) is half her size.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 02-11-2004, 05:59 PM
Bill Stock

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Scott wrote:
all the snails that were in my aquarium. they have barely grown in the

time
that I have had them, so they could be alright for your tank for quite a
while.

Whereas one of mine grew like a weed in 6 months. S/he is now a good 6
inches, while her smalling "sibling" (they were all the same size and
from the same source when I got them) is half her size.

Thanks Victor, how big is your tank BTW.

It's looking like a Zebra Loach(es).

Old 02-11-2004, 06:05 PM
Scott

if you get them when they are young they are only a couple of inch's or in
size. the two I have are both around two inches in length. I think that they
are well worth the space that they take up in my 40gal aquarium.