Old 28-10-2004, 02:48 PM
Troy Bruder

Default Black Slime Algae

Anyone got any good remedies for black slime algae covering everything in my
tank?? I keep cleaning it out, and doing massive water changes, but it
still keeps growing!! Arrrgghh!

Heavily planted tank
CO2 injection
ph 6.8

Old 01-11-2004, 04:10 AM
Troy Bruder

I have significantly reduced feedings... My current light (10k pc) is
almost 12 months old... I figured it would last 18 months, but maybe that's
it. Thanks for the heads up.. Until I replace it, maybe I'll try massive
water changes every other day..

Troy

Old 01-11-2004, 06:13 AM
blank

You might try buying a timer so your lights can go off for a few hours
during the day. This helps stop algae from growing. So I was told in the
newsgroups and lo and behold, it works. The algae in my tank is nearly
gone---it has taken about six weeks, but the difference is amazing.

Old 01-11-2004, 08:53 AM
Eric Schreiber

Troy Bruder wrote:

Anyone got any good remedies for black slime algae covering
everything in my tank?? I keep cleaning it out, and doing massive
water changes, but it still keeps growing!! Arrrgghh!

It might actually be blue-green algae which 1) can be a variety of
colors, and 2) isn't actually an algae, but rather a bacteria.

I've been struggling with an algae that fits the descriotion you gave -
black slime - and I'm giving serious thought to medicating the tank
with a general anti-bacterial agent of some sort.

--
Eric Schreiber
www.ericschreiber.com

Old 01-11-2004, 06:37 PM

"Eric Schreiber" eric at ericschreiber dot com wrote in message ...
Troy Bruder wrote:

Anyone got any good remedies for black slime algae covering
everything in my tank?? I keep cleaning it out, and doing massive
water changes, but it still keeps growing!! Arrrgghh!

It might actually be blue-green algae which 1) can be a variety of
colors, and 2) isn't actually an algae, but rather a bacteria.

I've been struggling with an algae that fits the descriotion you gave -
black slime - and I'm giving serious thought to medicating the tank
with a general anti-bacterial agent of some sort.

See blackout method, this will help your plants and take less time, is
certainly the cheapest method and the easiest, fastest etc.

Remove the algae that's there, do a 50% water change, add 1/4 teaspoon
of KNO3 per 80 liters of tank. Clean filter before water change.
Turn off CO2/lights and cover so that no light gets in with trash bag,
towels etc.

Wait three days, remove the bags and turn light/CO2 back on, do
another 50% water change and add the KNO3 back and thereafter 2x a
week.

You do this, you will not have the BGA come back.

But you can try the other methods which are not free nor address the
root cause.
This method has nothing to lose and is 100% effective if you follow
the directions.

If you do a controlled mid day sieta, you will find it does not do
anything. If you have slightly poor.insufficent CO2, this gives a
chance for your unpowered CO2 diffuser set up to catch up since plants
stop taking in CO2 when the lights are off.

The light itself does not cause the algae to go away and the 3
blackout makes algae die fast, not weeks later and also helps to grow
the plants by adding what caused the plants not to grow well(lack of
NO3), which is why you have the algae in the first place.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 02-11-2004, 04:32 PM
Troy Bruder

Here's what I discovered...

1. My light was definately shot... The new bulb was an immediate
improvement in the quality of light.. It was also nice to see my plants
"pearling" once again with two hours of the new bulb being installed.
Lesson learned, 11 month replacement cycle for PC bulbs!

2. When I refilled my CO2 tank 3 weeks ago, I NEVER TURNED IT ON!!! Ugh...

So between my light spectrum issues, and the fact that I haven't have
pressured CO2 in almost a month, probably has led to the massive imbalance
within my tank...

I'm willing to bet it returns to "normal" within a week or two now!

Troy

Old 02-11-2004, 06:18 PM

See blackout method, this will help your plants and take less time, is
certainly the cheapest method and the easiest, fastest etc.

I've read lots of comments that the blackout approach has little or no
effect on cyanobacteria, since they aren't dependent on light like
conventional algae.

Thiose comments are patently incorrect. Nothing personal, but they
are.
It's that simple.

Anyone that does what I suggest(not their own modified version) on BGA
will agree. BGA are(the species we deal with), as are all
algae/plants, totally dependent on light.

Lots of comments that Blackout does not work?
Name one that has done the method I suggested in honesty, and it has
not worked?
Even one?

I've never read one yet. I do get many folks saying it did work on
BGA.
"Thanks! It's 100% Clear and clean! yada yada........."

Everytime.

Some one will say BBA and blackouts don't work, yea, I agree. But it's
100% effective on BGA which is the only real use for this method.

My question to you is have you tried it?
If you do, then you'll know.

I believe my root causes are that I overfeed (which I'm correcting) and
that the tank is now so overrun with BGA that moderately drastic
measures are needed to bring it under control.

It's not due to over feeding.

I've already started treating with Myacin. If the five day cycle
doesn't have any effect, I'll give your instructions a whirl.

Antibiotics do work, my point is not that Myacin does or does not
work, I just offers a better method that takes 3 days and is 100% free
and addresses the long term problem that you have.

Anyone can do it.
You can solve your BGa with that, or Blackout, but anyone that claims
the 3 day blackout I suggest does not work is frankly full of crap.

I've helped countless folks cure their algal issues for the last
decade. Check the APD, APC and other forums.
See this month's TAG, ask around.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Old 02-11-2004, 09:13 PM
Eric Schreiber

Happy'Cam'per wrote:

They are indeed photosynthesising, why are they green??

While Cyanobacteria can photosynthesize, that is not it's only source
for nutrients. It is not a plant - it is a bacteria. Unlike 'regular'
algae, it is not dependent upon ammonia related products (including
nitrite and nitrate), and can directly process molecular nitrogen.

Since it isn't dependent upon photosynthesis, a blackout may stunt it
but won't kill it - it can employ other food sources.

You would feel much more accomplished if you defeated the beast
without the aid of antibiotics! Do deep gravel cleanings and clean
out your filter thoroughly, 70-80% waterchange.

I'm not seeking a sense of accomplishment, I'm just trying to get rid
of the BGA. I've done *loads* of gravel cleanings, scrubbing, water
changes, and filter changes. In my experience, as long as the
conditions in the tank support BGA, any cells that escape the cleaning
will spawn the problem over again.

--
Eric Schreiber
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 02-11-2004, 09:42 PM
Eric Schreiber

Thiose comments are patently incorrect. Nothing personal, but they
are. It's that simple.

I appreciate your strong opinion, but I find equally strong opinions in
the other direction. The Krib has discussions on the subject, and I
found numerous mentions via Google as well.

BGA are(the species we deal with), as are all algae/plants, totally
dependent on light.

BGA are not plants, they are bacteria. Though photosynthesis is the
preferred mode of nutrition, it is not the only method. (Palinska,
Katarzyna A; Horgan, William J and Krumbein, Wolfgang, E (May 2002)
Cyanobacteria. In: Nature Encyclopedia of Life Sciences. London: Nature
Publishing Group.)

Antibiotics do work, my point is not that Myacin does or does not
work, I just offers a better method that takes 3 days and is 100%
free and addresses the long term problem that you have.

Well, the ehtromycin is effectively free, since I already had it on
hand. My supply expires in a few months, so it's not as though I'm
likely to lose use of it by employing it against BGA.

Lots of comments that Blackout does not work?
Name one that has done the method I suggested in honesty, and it has
not worked? Even one?
anyone that claims the 3 day blackout I suggest does not work is
frankly full of crap.

Ok, thanks, but I'm REALLY not interested in a holy war. You've clearly
got a lot of emotional investment in the subject, and I'm afraid I
really don't care enough to get into a protracted discussion over it.

--
Eric Schreiber
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 03-11-2004, 10:51 AM
Happy'Cam'per

I appreciate your strong opinion, but I find equally strong opinions in
the other direction. The Krib has discussions on the subject, and I
found numerous mentions via Google as well.

How old is that info on the Krib, and how qualified were those ppl making
the statements?

BGA are not plants, they are bacteria. Though photosynthesis is the
preferred mode of nutrition, it is not the only method. (Palinska,
Katarzyna A; Horgan, William J and Krumbein, Wolfgang, E (May 2002)
Cyanobacteria. In: Nature Encyclopedia of Life Sciences. London: Nature
Publishing Group.

The bacteria have a symbiotic relationship with the photosynthesising
systems, if one shuts down, gradually they will die, they cannot function
properly without each other.

Ok, thanks, but I'm REALLY not interested in a holy war. You've clearly
got a lot of emotional investment in the subject, and I'm afraid I
really don't care enough to get into a protracted discussion over it.

Oh Come on Eric, I think its my turn this time to tell you to get a thicker
skin. Tom is offering you perfectly fine advice and you're throwing it back
in his face, he offered to help you out and then you get defensive!!! Use
those antibiotics of yours and I'll bet in 30 days time it'll be back again,
really, I've been through this myself. You also run the risk of openeing up
your fish to parasites who will be keen on taking advantage of the fish's
weakened immune system, antiB's will affect the fish's slime coat and
possibly nuke your filter. Be careful. Be sure to let us know how it goes.
--
**So long, and thanks for all the thick skin!**

Old 03-11-2004, 10:57 AM
Happy'Cam'per

"Eric Schreiber" eric at ericschreiber dot com wrote in message
algae, it is not dependent upon ammonia related products (including
nitrite and nitrate), and can directly process molecular nitrogen.

I too thought this but its not true. The type of Cyano that infects OUR fish
tanks does not have the ability to fix Nitrogen, its wrong. Apparently only
Cyano with heterocysts have this ability. The species in our tanks are sans
heterocysts and therefore rely on a Nitrogen source for food.

Since it isn't dependent upon photosynthesis, a blackout may stunt it
but won't kill it - it can employ other food sources.

See above...

I'm not seeking a sense of accomplishment, I'm just trying to get rid
of the BGA. I've done *loads* of gravel cleanings, scrubbing, water
changes, and filter changes. In my experience, as long as the
conditions in the tank support BGA, any cells that escape the cleaning
will spawn the problem over again.

Where do you think it came from in the first place? Once you dose those
anti'B's you're going to kill alll the Cyano cells but the conditions in
your tank will remain the same, they will return once the AB's wear off.

Old 03-11-2004, 11:10 AM
Scott

I only recently got rid of the blue green algae in my aquarium, after a year
of it growing inch's in size every day. I tried blacking the aquarium out
five or six times. each time the blue green algae disappeared after three or
four days, but a week or two later it always returned. I put that down to
not doing them for long enough but I even tried a six day blackout, and a
four day blackout followed by a three day blackout, two days later. and I
wrapped my tank up in tin foil, towels, sleeping bags, and all sorts to keep
the light out.

I finally got rid of it a month ago by using Maracyn. it seems to be gone
for good this time. from what I can tell from my experiences with blue green
algae it doesn't matter what the water parameters it will still have enough
nutrients to be able to grow. it seems to be more to do with bad luck than
anything else, if you get it in your tank.

Scott