Old 30-10-2004, 08:34 PM
Bill Stock

Default Planted tank test strips?

I can't say I've ever seen one, but I thought I would ask. Does anyone make
an all in one planted tank test strip for Nitrates, KH (optional) , Iron,
Magnesium and Potassium.

Old 01-11-2004, 01:44 AM
Szaki

Well, there is the Jungle Quick dip 5-in-1 test strips. It test for
Nitrates, Nitrates, KH, Total hardness, and PH.
Total Hardness gives you the amount of minerals in the water, like
Magnesium, calcium and metal ions..

The hardness of water is related to the dissolved minerals in contains.
The total hardness is usually regarded as consisting of two components:
general hardness (GH) and carbonate hardness (KH). General hardness is
caused by divalent metal ions, primarily calcium and magnesium. Carbonate
hardness is due to carbonate/bicarbonate ions, and represents the main
'buffering capacity' of the water, i.e. its ability to resist pH changes. KH
and pH are therefore inter-related: if KH is high, the pH will be very
stable (and difficult to alter), if KH is low (e.g. less than 3 degrees KH)
then the pH will be less stable.

Carbonate hardness is sometimes referred to as 'temporary' hardness, because
it can be removed by boiling, which precipitates the carbonates. The
remaining hardness contributed by other salts of calcium and magnesium is
then referred to as permanent hardness, or non-carbonate hardness.

Julius