Old 02-11-2004, 12:51 AM
Bill Stock

"Allyb" wrote in message
I posted this question before, and didn't really get any responses that
helped, so I thougt I'd post again with an update. I have a 55 gallon

with
10 or 15 small fish. I have a large group of red temple plants and a

large
group of Eusterallis stellata and a few other misc plants. I was adding

20
ppm nitrates every day and when I would test I would always get 0. (test
kit seemed ok) Fish started to get sick. I discontinued fertilization

for
a week to let the fish heal, and the stellata started to turn to mush and
break apart. I started fertilizing again at 5ppm per day and the fish
started to get sick again. I've since moved the fish into another tank so

can dose the 55 at will, but I would like to put the fish back eventually.
I also have crazy brown and beard algae all over the place which I've

never
been able to get under control. Here are the full specs of the tank

Give us the doses you're adding to create your PMDD, e.g.. 1 tbsp. Trace
Elements, 1 tbsp. Magnesium Sulfate, etc. Also where did you get your
chemicals. What fish do you have?

You say your Nitrates test 0 PPM. What reading do you get if you test just
after you add your dose? Could be your test kit is whacked, maybe your
dosing is incorrect or maybe there is something else in your PMDD that the
fish don't like. What did you use for your PMDD bottle, was it well cleaned?

Old 02-11-2004, 12:55 AM
Allyb

Default nitrate woes

I posted this question before, and didn't really get any responses that
helped, so I thougt I'd post again with an update. I have a 55 gallon with
10 or 15 small fish. I have a large group of red temple plants and a large
group of Eusterallis stellata and a few other misc plants. I was adding 20
ppm nitrates every day and when I would test I would always get 0. (test
kit seemed ok) Fish started to get sick. I discontinued fertilization for
a week to let the fish heal, and the stellata started to turn to mush and
break apart. I started fertilizing again at 5ppm per day and the fish
started to get sick again. I've since moved the fish into another tank so I
can dose the 55 at will, but I would like to put the fish back eventually.
I also have crazy brown and beard algae all over the place which I've never
been able to get under control. Here are the full specs of the tank

55 Gallon standard tank
4-32 W 48" flourescent tubes (4100K)
Substrate of laterite under inert gravel
flourish tabs
diy C02 (3 2 liter bottles, replace the oldest every 5 days) according to
the chart, I'm usually in the mid-20's
Using PMDD ingredients to fertilize, though not at PMDD rates.

What is my problem? Should I give up on the Eusterallis? I could live
without it, but the algae is driving me insane!! You guys with all the
pictures on the internet make it look so easy.... :-)
Thanks! Allison

Old 02-11-2004, 06:27 PM

55 Gallon standard tank
4-32 W 48" flourescent tubes (4100K)
Substrate of laterite under inert gravel
flourish tabs
diy C02 (3 2 liter bottles, replace the oldest every 5 days) according to
the chart, I'm usually in the mid-20's
Using PMDD ingredients to fertilize, though not at PMDD rates.

What is my problem? Should I give up on the Eusterallis? I could live
without it, but the algae is driving me insane!! You guys with all the
pictures on the internet make it look so easy.... :-)
Thanks! Allison

Do this:

50% weekly water change
Make sure your CO2 is 20-30ppm when the lights are on, check the pH/Kh
at night before the lights go off. Keep up on the brew changes.

Dose the following:
1/4 teaspoon every other day of KNO3 dry
1/16th of teaspoon(close estimation is fine, divide the 1/4 into 4
parts etc) of KH2PO4 along with the KNO3 every other day

On the off day add: 15mls of TMG, Flourish of the PMDD trace mix.

So macros are dosed 4x a week, traces 3x.

50% weekly water change again and repeat.

Do this and your tank will really grow well.
Eustralis etc will really do well.
No algae etc.
Feed fish well.

You need to add PO4 if you are not adding it.
Watch the tank about 1 hour after you add it.
Tell me what you see.

Clean, prune, clean filter, scrub off any algae first, then do the
water change.
Then add the nutrients back.
Repeat.
In 2-3 weeks the tank will look very nice.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 02-11-2004, 11:17 PM
Allyb

Ok, I've printed the emails and I'm off to start measuring stuff - -

Thanks for the specific info!

Allison

m...

Old 02-11-2004, 11:25 PM
Allyb

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

"Allyb" wrote in message
[...]

I've not tested immediately after dosing since I've been adding such large
amounts. I'm so sick of counting drops :-) I am using Green light stump
remover for nitrates. 3 Tblsp per 500ml water to add .3ppm per ml to the
55. Muriate of potash for potassium. Solutions are made up in clean, glass
pint jars. I'm not refrigerating, could that be the problem? I have been
meaning to test my solution and my test kit by making up a diluted formula,
but have not done so yet. I do know the test reacts predictably when I add
a drop of straight solution to a test tube of aquarium water. I'm using
prefab for trace and iron. Did I answer everything?

Old 03-11-2004, 01:45 AM
Bill Stock

"Allyb" wrote in message

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

"Allyb" wrote in message
[...]

I don't have to add Nitrates to my tank, but the PMDD dosing I've seen
(he http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/pmdd-tim.html) calls for 1
tbsp per 500 ml. But your 3 tbsps/500 ml does give you .3 ppm based on
Chuck's Nutrient calculator. How many ml are you adding each day? I add
about 1 ml per day to my 55, which is still high.

I doubt refrigeration makes much difference in small batches. Just keep it
in a cool dark place. You should also shake your bottle before dosing.

Old 03-11-2004, 02:27 AM
Allyb

Yeah, I'm new at this and a little confused about the pmdd dosing schedule.
I read that you're supposed to keep your nitrates at 10 ppm, but the pmdd
dose only adds a tiny amount. Even if the plants didn't use any, it would
take months to get up to the recommended level. I guess the pmdd people
don't think you need to keep 10ppm in.

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

Old 04-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Nick Wise

"Allyb" wrote in message ...
Yeah, I'm new at this and a little confused about the pmdd dosing schedule.
I read that you're supposed to keep your nitrates at 10 ppm, but the pmdd
dose only adds a tiny amount. Even if the plants didn't use any, it would
take months to get up to the recommended level. I guess the pmdd people
don't think you need to keep 10ppm in.

snip

Instead of using PMDD to add nitrates, I suggest using KNO3.