Old 03-11-2004, 03:11 AM
Ook

Default Plant woes

I have hornswort and frill in a 15 gal tank. Both plants just sit there,
they grew a lot at first, and then slowed down and now they are just sitting
and slowly turning yellow. Is this part of their normal life cycle? Is there
anything I can do that won't kill my neons that would help the plants to
grow?

Old 04-11-2004, 02:43 AM
Bill Stock

"Ook" wrote in message
I have hornswort and frill in a 15 gal tank. Both plants just sit there,
they grew a lot at first, and then slowed down and now they are just

sitting
and slowly turning yellow. Is this part of their normal life cycle? Is

there
anything I can do that won't kill my neons that would help the plants to
grow?

Sounds like a fertilizer issue. My HW started to yellow about 3 weeks after
I brought it in from the pond. Now that I'm dosing with PMDD (Poor Mans
Dosing Drops), it has really perked up. I may have to thin it out soon,
before it takes over the basement. Although it's more of a lime green
colour than the dark green that it was in the pond.

Old 04-11-2004, 03:57 AM
Ook

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

"Ook" wrote in message
I have hornswort and frill in a 15 gal tank. Both plants just sit there,
they grew a lot at first, and then slowed down and now they are just

sitting
and slowly turning yellow. Is this part of their normal life cycle? Is

there
anything I can do that won't kill my neons that would help the plants to
grow?

Sounds like a fertilizer issue. My HW started to yellow about 3 weeks
after
I brought it in from the pond. Now that I'm dosing with PMDD (Poor Mans
Dosing Drops), it has really perked up. I may have to thin it out soon,
before it takes over the basement. Although it's more of a lime green
colour than the dark green that it was in the pond.

Do you have fish in the tank? What is PMDD, is it available at your LFS?

Old 04-11-2004, 04:28 AM
Bill Stock

"Ook" wrote in message

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

"Ook" wrote in message
I have hornswort and frill in a 15 gal tank. Both plants just sit

there,
they grew a lot at first, and then slowed down and now they are just

sitting
and slowly turning yellow. Is this part of their normal life cycle? Is

there
anything I can do that won't kill my neons that would help the plants

grow?

Sounds like a fertilizer issue. My HW started to yellow about 3 weeks
after
I brought it in from the pond. Now that I'm dosing with PMDD (Poor Mans
Dosing Drops), it has really perked up. I may have to thin it out soon,
before it takes over the basement. Although it's more of a lime green
colour than the dark green that it was in the pond.

Do you have fish in the tank? What is PMDD, is it available at your LFS?

I don't have fish yet, but this will be a community tank eventually. PMDD is
a home brew fertilizer, check it out he
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/pmdd-tim.html . Basically it's
Trace Elements (Iron, Magnesium, etc), Potassium, and Nitrates. If you have
fish, you may not need the Nitrates. You can buy the Potassium and Trace
Elements from your LFS, Seachem Flourish is one of the better known brands.
PMDD is more hassle, but also a lot cheaper.

The other limiting factors to your HW growth are light and CO2, but HW is
fairly light tolerant. So I doubt either of these is an issue.

Old 04-11-2004, 10:21 PM
www.Fish-Forums.com

These plants like plenty of lighting and nutrients for fast growth.
try adding a liquid fert as well as weekly water changes

Marc
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______
Want to win a FREE new co2 system or a lighting system check out our
forum for our newest contest coming up

http://www.fish-forums.com

Http://www.aquatic-store.com

Old 05-11-2004, 03:46 AM
Ook

I added some fertilizer, but later realized it was nothing but chelated
iron. I'm guessing I need a better fertilizer? I put a plant light on the
tank, but that seemed to slow growth, so now I'm running a white flourescent
bulb, and the plant bulb as well part time, but I suspect it might be too
much light over all. I have some lilys that are actully growing well so far,
but I'm afraid that they may get too big for the tank and cover the entire
surface with their leaves - I didn't know they would get so big when I
dropped them in the tank....

Old 04-12-2004, 09:36 PM
www.Fish-ForumS.com

Sounds like they are not getting enough nutrients.
Are you adding ferts?

Marc

Webb Starting woes Bevilready Lawns 3 01-04-2009 09:40 AM
Spider plant woes - better pix - 1 attachment Robert Salmon Garden Photos 8 06-12-2006 10:25 PM
Spider plant woes Robert Salmon Gardening 7 06-12-2006 10:12 PM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 3 24-02-2003 11:10 PM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 2 24-02-2003 10:29 PM