Old 05-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Chris

Default Bogwwod.

Been all afternoon with bogwood in pans of boiling water to try and
remove brown colour. Anything you can use to seal the bogwwod. Like
clear varnish but not effect the water when in the tank.
Thanks,
Chris.

Old 05-11-2004, 08:25 PM
Margolis

"Chris" wrote in message
Been all afternoon with bogwood in pans of boiling water to try and
remove brown colour. Anything you can use to seal the bogwwod. Like
clear varnish but not effect the water when in the tank.
Thanks,
Chris.

I wouldn't recommend it. Are you going to keep any type of plecostomus in
the tank? I would worry about them ingesting the varnish while trying to
gnaw down to the wood which they like to eat. Just let it turn your water
yellow. If you have carbon in your filter you won't see it anyway. the
carbon will absorb the tannins that color the water as fast as they are
released.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/200302152...qs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

Old 06-11-2004, 08:00 AM

Chris wrote in message ...
Been all afternoon with bogwood in pans of boiling water to try and
remove brown colour. Anything you can use to seal the bogwwod. Like
clear varnish but not effect the water when in the tank.
Thanks,
Chris.

I'd just put up with it, do regular weekly large water changes, 50%+.
That's soaking and is good for the tank(allows you to dose and remove
any waste build up).
Typically the color does not bug you till day 5-6 or so depending on
the nature and amount of wood you have, as mentioned, some carbon can
tide you through.

Regards,
Tom Barr