GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Planted Tank Design (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/86100-planted-tank-design.html)

John Owens 07-11-2004 07:19 AM

Planted Tank Design

I've got a few questions about the design of a planted tank. I know I need
3WPG to be able to sustain some of the more attractive plants. I've looked
at light fixtures and I'm seeing a lot of "Open Air" tanks with no hoods on
them. Is there any type of hood I can use that will accomodate these
larger light fixtures? Simple glass perhaps?

[email protected] 08-11-2004 08:37 PM

"John Owens" wrote in message ...
I've got a few questions about the design of a planted tank. I know I need
3WPG to be able to sustain some of the more attractive plants. I've looked
at light fixtures and I'm seeing a lot of "Open Air" tanks with no hoods on
them. Is there any type of hood I can use that will accomodate these
larger light fixtures? Simple glass perhaps?

2w/gal, is enough to grow anything you want to grow.
3 is fine also but more is not better.
Glass is fine or no hoods at all.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Just1nK4ng 13-11-2004 12:12 PM

tcbiii@NOSPAMea wrote:
"John Owens" wrote in message news:dN-dnf6qDuQTURDcRVn-
I've got a few questions about the design of a planted tank. I know I
need 3WPG to be able to sustain some of the more attractive plants.
I've looked at light fixtures and I'm seeing a lot of "Open Air" tanks
with no hoods on them. Is there any type of hood I can use that will
accomodate these larger light fixtures? Simple glass perhaps?

2w/gal, is enough to grow anything you want to grow. 3 is fine also but
more is not better. Glass is fine or no hoods at all.
Regards, Tom Barr

think about the fish if they jump out then oh no!:eek:

Craig Brye 13-11-2004 06:29 PM

I've never used a top on my tanks, and have never lost a fish...

--
Craig Brye
University of Phoenix Online

"Just1nK4ng" -DONTEMAIL wrote in message

Michi Henning 13-11-2004 08:22 PM

"Craig Brye" wrote in message
I've never used a top on my tanks, and have never lost a fish...

Really depends on the fish. SAEs are a bad idea with an open top tank, as
they like to jump (although you may get away with it for a while). And
species such as hatchet fish (carnegiella strigata) are definitely not possible
without a tight-fitting cover.

Cheers,

Michi.
--
Michi Henning Ph: +61 4 1118-2700
ZeroC, Inc. http://www.zeroc.com

Margolis 14-11-2004 05:05 AM

"Craig Brye" wrote in message
I've had SAE's in all my tanks, and have never lost one.

I've never used a top on my tanks, and have never lost a fish...

you've been EXTREMELY lucky then ;o0

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/200302152...qs/AGQ2FAQ.htm