Old 13-11-2004, 09:39 PM
Ook

Default Java Fern Question

I noticed that the tips of my java fern is putting out small roots and a
small upward growing shoot. The leaves themselves are very stiff and point
up, so the tip isn't likely to contact the gravel soon. Can I cut the leaf
off and put it so the tip is contacting the gravel? I'm wondering how best
to allow the tips to anchor themselves so they can grow on their own. Any
voices of experience.

Old 14-11-2004, 11:43 AM
Limnophile

"Ook" wrote in message
I noticed that the tips of my java fern is putting out small roots and a
small upward growing shoot. The leaves themselves are very stiff and point
up, so the tip isn't likely to contact the gravel soon. Can I cut the leaf
off and put it so the tip is contacting the gravel? I'm wondering how best
to allow the tips to anchor themselves so they can grow on their own. Any
voices of experience.

Java fern will grow if you plant the stem in the gravel, if you tie it to a
piece of wood with string, if you leave it floating, or if you cut a leaf in
half and bury it partially in the gravel. If a friend wants some java fern,
I just take one of my larger ones and tear off a few pieces. It grows
slowly, bit it's VERY hardy. That's why it's one of my favorite plants. It's
taken about 4 years, but I have some java fens the size of a basketball.

Limnophile

Old 14-11-2004, 04:13 PM
Brian S.

Wow, can't wait for my Java Ferns to get that big! I bought one from the
LFS about two months ago and I can't even really see if it has grown.

But, when I bought it, it already had two baby starts on it and took those
off. One didn't make it (ended in the filter somewhere) and the other was
planted in the sand and is now about 3x as big as it was.

I went to the LFS yesterday to get some hornwort for my tank and saw that
they had some pretty big java fern plants... hope mine get that tall.

Typically though, I wait until there are plenty of roots and leaves on the
start before pulling it off the 'mamma plant'. This way there is more that
can be buried in sand, rock, etc and it won't rise to the surface.

Brian S.

Old 17-11-2004, 11:14 PM
Ook

How big will these "starts" get? Right now it's 1/4 inch root sticking down,
and 1/4 inch shoot sticking up.

Old 19-11-2004, 04:34 PM
Limnophile

"Ook" wrote in message
How big will these "starts" get? Right now it's 1/4 inch root sticking
down,
and 1/4 inch shoot sticking up.

If it has enough light and fertilizer, yours will grow to 30+cm across like
mine. Of course, it may take 2-3 years. Right now I have about 15 Java
ferns, four of them bigger than 20cm. All of them started from three 6 cm
plants I bought in 1999.

Limnophile