Old 15-11-2004, 04:31 PM
George Pontis

Default Water conditioners for planted tanks

Most of the water conditioners that I see for sale have some statement on the
label about how they detoxify heavy metals. From what I read here I assume that
this means they will bind up the iron that plants need.

One conditioner that does not say this is Fritz Chlorine Remover ("Aids in
eliminating Chloramines"). This brand is not common in our area.

Which water treatments are popular in the planted tank community ?
Old 15-11-2004, 05:00 PM
Victor Martinez

George Pontis wrote:
Which water treatments are popular in the planted tank community ?

I use Seachem Prime, no problems with my plants.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 15-11-2004, 06:59 PM
Victor Martinez

George Pontis wrote:
is quickly overloaded by addition of iron. Do you supplement with iron and monitor
the levels ?

I supplement iron whenever I remember too, which is not very often...
I don't monitor it at all. I do have fluorite in my substrate and mostly
root-feeders, if that makes a difference.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 16-11-2004, 03:29 PM
Victor Martinez

George Pontis wrote:
Maybe they have only a small amount of the agent that captures heavy metals, which
is quickly overloaded by addition of iron. Do you supplement with iron and monitor
the levels ?

I got this response from Seachem:

Prime will bind heavy metals from solution when you are treating new
water. In a plant tank the impact would actually be beneficial as it
would reduce any iron from a ferric form to a ferrous form which the
plants are able to use more readily. Prime is fine to use in a plant
tank and as far as the iron goes it would be helpful to the plants.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he