GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   plant foods containing nitrate (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/86511-plant-foods-containing-nitrate.html)

Scott 16-11-2004 08:58 PM

plant foods containing nitrate

Hi, does anyone no of a plant food that contains nitrate. I have looked
online, but they all seem to be free of nitrates and phosphates to help stop
them causing algae growth.

I looked at the Kent proplant food and it says that it contains
nitrogen.
will that act like nitrate, and make up for the lack of it in my aquarium?

the levels of nitrate are at about 4ppm, and the phosphate level is 2ppm,
but that should drop back down to 1ppm in a few weeks. so I'm thinking that
increasing the nitrate level will boost plant growth and hopefully lower the
phosphate level without me having to use chemicals to do it.

Thanks

Scott

[email protected] 17-11-2004 04:38 AM

"Scott" wrote in message ...
Hi, does anyone no of a plant food that contains nitrate. I have looked
online, but they all seem to be free of nitrates and phosphates to help stop
them causing algae growth.

I looked at the Kent proplant food and it says that it contains
nitrogen.
will that act like nitrate, and make up for the lack of it in my aquarium?

the levels of nitrate are at about 4ppm, and the phosphate level is 2ppm,
but that should drop back down to 1ppm in a few weeks. so I'm thinking that
increasing the nitrate level will boost plant growth and hopefully lower the
phosphate level without me having to use chemicals to do it.

Thanks

Scott

Just add some KNO3, unless it's a non CO2 tank, you need to add a
supplemental source of NO3.
Fish food produces NH4/urea first, then NO3 if the bacteria get to
it(not typically the case).

Fish food also has more N than P in it.
NO3/PO4 does not cause algae in planted tanks unless there is not
enough.

While fish food saying this might make you think about buying it, I'd
stick with food that has a good protein level, that must have N, no
way around that one:-)

The K+ from the KNO3 will also help the plants.

Regards,
Tom Barr