Old 30-11-2004, 01:39 PM
Dave

Default fish for a heavily-planted tank?

Subject line says it all ... what species of fish do well in / prefer
heavily-planted tanks? Mine is 29g, pH 6.8-7, GH 11. Only fish in
there right now are a few corydoras. Thanks!
Old 30-11-2004, 02:27 PM
Victor Martinez

Dave wrote:
Subject line says it all ... what species of fish do well in / prefer
heavily-planted tanks? Mine is 29g, pH 6.8-7, GH 11. Only fish in
there right now are a few corydoras. Thanks!

You have lots of options. A nice choice would be 6 or so Melanotaenia
praecox.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 30-11-2004, 02:45 PM
Cheryl Rogers

I like to put lots of small tetras, one or two species only, in my 29
gallon. I have 11 pristella tetras and five ruby tetras, along with my
cories, otos, and SAEs. I think the smaller fish make the tank look bigger.

Cheryl

Subject line says it all ... what species of fish do well in / prefer

Old 30-11-2004, 02:55 PM
Margolis

"Dave" wrote in message
om...
Subject line says it all ... what species of fish do well in / prefer
heavily-planted tanks? Mine is 29g, pH 6.8-7, GH 11. Only fish in
there right now are a few corydoras. Thanks!

that is the perfect setup for a few tetras and couple of rams
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/ramfaqs.htm, also 2 clown plecos,
peckoltia pulcher. They get about 2-3" max.
http://fish.mongabay.com/species/Peckoltia_pulcher.html

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/200302152...qs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

Old 30-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Limnophile

"Dave" wrote in message
om...
Subject line says it all ... what species of fish do well in / prefer
heavily-planted tanks? Mine is 29g, pH 6.8-7, GH 11. Only fish in
there right now are a few corydoras. Thanks!

Small danios, ottos, SAE's , tetras, small plec, rasboras, dwarf gouramis,
twig catfish, cherry barbs, freshwater shrimp, dwarf cichlids, the
possibilities are nearly endless.

My plant tank has ottos, harlequin rasboras, a pair of rams, leopard danios,
a bristlenose plec, black neon tetras, cardinal tetras, cory cats, purple
scissortail guppies, freshwater glass shrimp, twig cats, and a giant danio
that jumped in from another tank.

If the fish are small and peaceful, the sky's the limit. Use your
imagination and have fun.

Limnophile

Old 01-12-2004, 06:21 PM
Limnophile

"Dick" wrote

snip
If you want the risk of live bearers over
population my mollies and Platies also stay visible. Another of my
favorites that usually is visible is a Black Angelfish.

snip
dick

Actually, I've found that livebearers and angels are usually good tankmates.
The angels eat the livebearer fry, and keep the population somewhat under
control.

Limnophile

Old 02-12-2004, 11:17 AM
Dick

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 11:21:45 -0600, "Limnophile"
wrote:

"Dick" wrote

snip
If you want the risk of live bearers over
population my mollies and Platies also stay visible. Another of my
favorites that usually is visible is a Black Angelfish.

snip
dick

Actually, I've found that livebearers and angels are usually good tankmates.
The angels eat the livebearer fry, and keep the population somewhat under
control.

Limnophile

I agree about fry control and Angels, but I find a few fry survive in
the heavy vegetation. I found 2 platies in my 75 gallon tank that
were over a month old judging by appearance. They still stay in the
vegetation most of the time.

dick