Old 21-12-2004, 04:02 AM
Allyb

I can see my own posts. When I compare the all the posts in this group on
Google and in OE, about 10% that appear in Google do not appear in OE. My
isp replied and said they'd come across the problem before, it's the news
server, and they haven't ever been able to get anywhere with them. I will
download a free newsreader and see what happens there. Thanks for all the
advice!! Allison

"Eric Schreiber" eric at ericschreiber dot com wrote in message
Margolis wrote:

OE has a known problem in this area and other people can read your
posts. Why do you think it's the ISP?

because it is. It is not an OE problem.

Perhaps. The thing is, this exact same set of circumstances (not being
able to see one's own posts) had been demonstrated to be an OE problem
many times before.

The test is easy - fire up a different news reader, and see if the
posts show up. There are a number of good, free, newsreaders available,
so all the test would cost would be a bit of time.

--
Eric Schreiber
www.ericschreiber.com

Old 21-12-2004, 05:53 AM
Allyb

If anyone is still paying attention, I just downloaded a different
newsreader, and it displays only the messages that OE does, confirming that
it is indeed my isp's news server. Go Google. Gotta love it when the free
stuff works better than what you're paying for. What's web slang for
sarcasm? :-)

Old 21-12-2004, 05:59 AM
Eric Schreiber

Allyb wrote:

If anyone is still paying attention, I just downloaded a different
newsreader, and it displays only the messages that OE does,
confirming that it is indeed my isp's news server. Go Google. Gotta
love it when the free stuff works better than what you're paying for.

Well, that's a pretty conclusive demonstration of the ISPs fault.

What's web slang for sarcasm? :-)

Usenet, in general, pretty much covers it

--
Eric Schreiber
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 23-12-2004, 08:11 AM
Richard

because it is. It is not an OE problem. I am having the same problem on
the new news server my isp just switched too a couple of weeks ago. Some of
the posts I make DO NOT show up on the server I posted them to. But if I go
to another server I keep as a backup they are there. This problem started
with the new server, and ONLY happens on that server. This new server has

Does the "new server" work properly with any other news reader?

all kinds of problems. Sometimes answers show up before questions,

That's normal.

sometimes a post may show up a dozen times, sometimes not at all.

The latter is not uncommon, the former is a bug.

Old 23-12-2004, 02:12 PM
Margolis

"Richard" wrote in message ...

Does the "new server" work properly with any other news reader?

no, it does not work with other readers. It also happens with forte agent.
I have never seen this to be an oe problem. I have seen this happen on
several occasions to various people. And every single time it has been a
server problem. I believe some people are just too quick to want to blame
microsoft for every little problem, when most of the time it has nothing to
do with microsoft, just like this case.

That's normal.

no, that is not normal. Not unless you have a bad server. A "good" server
will not have those types of problems.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/200302152...qs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

Old 23-12-2004, 09:29 PM
Eric Schreiber

Margolis wrote:

I have never seen this to be an oe problem. I have seen this
happen on several occasions to various people. And every single time
it has been a server problem. I believe some people are just too
quick to want to blame microsoft for every little problem, when most
of the time it has nothing to do with microsoft

"Most of the time" is hard to nail down. Suffice to say that the reason
a number of us pointed to OE as the likely culprit is because we've
seen numerous cases where OE was, in fact, the source of the problem.
It's not a knee-jerk "blame Microsoft" mentality, but simply a best
guess based on prior experience.

--
Eric Schreiber
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 24-12-2004, 12:28 AM
Ozdude

Margolis wrote:

I have never seen this to be an oe problem. I have seen this
happen on several occasions to various people. And every single time
it has been a server problem. I believe some people are just too
quick to want to blame microsoft for every little problem, when most
of the time it has nothing to do with microsoft

"Most of the time" is hard to nail down. Suffice to say that the reason
a number of us pointed to OE as the likely culprit is because we've
seen numerous cases where OE was, in fact, the source of the problem.
It's not a knee-jerk "blame Microsoft" mentality, but simply a best
guess based on prior experience.

I do know of instances where OE and Outlook itself will lose whole archive
message stores if those message stores become too large. (Mainly on 98, NT
and 2K/XP running Fat32 FS)

I am using OE atm, but I prefer Mozilla Thunderbird because it uses the old
newsrc method which is easily maintained, accessed and recoverable.

I think there are also tools out there which can retrieve the mysterious
lost messages even if they don't appear in Explorer.

I have stopped blaming M$ for a lot of things but one thing I am ****ed
about is Windows Update where it says a d/l will be, say 219k, and in fact
it's many many megabytes, with the 219k being the installer head which links
to svchost.exe, which is really the completely unintelligent Background
Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS). I don't "blame" them any more but I do
get angry that they can't be upfront about the true size of some of the
rubbish they put out as Windows Updates.

Any way back to the point: I think Mozilla Thunderbird and Firebird are far
more compliant, serviceable and efficient than the M$ offerings.

My 0.02

Oz

Old 24-12-2004, 02:30 AM
Eric Schreiber

Ozdude wrote:

Any way back to the point: I think Mozilla Thunderbird and Firebird
are far more compliant, serviceable and efficient than the M$
offerings.

I haven't tried either of them for news reading since I'm used to
Xananews (powerful, free, and occasionally cryptic). I am using Firefox
exclusively now as my web browser. I love the tabbed view and the very
nice text search functions a lot.

--
Eric Schreiber
www.ericschreiber.com