Old 16-12-2004, 01:29 AM
Allyb

Default OT - posts missing on outlook express

Hey guys, I just noticed that if I check this newsgroup with outlook
express, it doesn't show all the messages as when I check using Google.
Someone replied to a post I wrote and I can see it on Google but not with
outlook.

Anybody know what's going on? Thanks

Old 16-12-2004, 01:45 AM
Steen Suder, privat

Allyb wrote:
Hey guys, I just noticed that if I check this newsgroup with outlook
express, it doesn't show all the messages as when I check using Google.
Someone replied to a post I wrote and I can see it on Google but not with
outlook.

Anybody know what's going on? Thanks

They simply expired... probably.

And... I suggest You rid yourself of the nuisance that is Outlook
Express. You'll thank me in the long run... probably ;-)

--
Steen Suder
Prøv at forestille dig, at du er en anden, og læs så din artikel igennem
Old 16-12-2004, 02:03 AM
Eric Schreiber

Allyb wrote:

Hey guys, I just noticed that if I check this newsgroup with outlook
express, it doesn't show all the messages as when I check using
Google. Someone replied to a post I wrote and I can see it on Google
but not with outlook.

Anybody know what's going on? Thanks

This is a fairly common problem with Outlook Express. Do a Google
search for Outlook Express, Newsgroup, Messages, Disappear, and you'll
probably find the solution. It involves resetting OE somehow... I don't
know the details, since I don't use OE for news reading.

--
Eric Schreiber
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 16-12-2004, 02:30 AM
Susan

In the Options dialog box (Click on the Tools menu and then Options) there
is a check box under the Maintenance tab. It is checked by default and will
delete your messages after downloading them after the specified number of
days. Either uncheck it, or change the number of days. I think the default
is only 5 days. HTH

Susan

Old 16-12-2004, 03:20 AM
Allyb

Good suggestion, but I just made the post last night, and the response was
today, so no dice. Mine is set to 5 days as you said

Old 16-12-2004, 03:40 AM
Eric Schreiber

Allyb wrote:

Good suggestion, but I just made the post last night, and the
response was today, so no dice. Mine is set to 5 days as you said

Try unsubscribing from and resubscribing to the group.

--
Eric Schreiber
www.ericschreiber.com

Old 16-12-2004, 04:45 AM
Allyb

You're right about outlook. I'm complacent. The messages in question
couldn't have expired, it was less than a day old...

Old 16-12-2004, 01:13 PM
Margolis

"Allyb" wrote in message
Hey guys, I just noticed that if I check this newsgroup with outlook
express, it doesn't show all the messages as when I check using Google.
Someone replied to a post I wrote and I can see it on Google but not with
outlook.

Anybody know what's going on? Thanks

It is a problem with the news server you are using with outlook. It is not
outlooks fault. There are a lot of news servers that just don't keep up.
My internet provider just recently switched from supernews to another
service and I have been having all kinds of problems like that now.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/200302152...qs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

Old 16-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Eric Schreiber

Margolis wrote:

It is a problem with the news server you are using with outlook. It
is not outlooks fault. There are a lot of news servers that just
don't keep up.

Except that, as I understand it, she's looking for a message that *she*
posted herself, via that news server. Propogation issues can indeed
cause weird things to happen, but that doesn't apply to messages posted
at the news server in question.

The problem Allyb is reporting is pretty common among people reading
newsgroups with OE.

The best solution is to switch to a different news reader. There are a
number of perfectly good free ones available.

--
Eric Schreiber
www.ericschreiber.com

Old 16-12-2004, 06:53 PM
Susan

Maybe it's the sychronization settings? Click on the news folder (mine is
netnews.comcast.net), and check the synchronization settings for your news
groups you subscribe to. If it says "New Messages Only" then maybe that is
why. You can highlight a newsgroup in the list of groups you are subscribing
to, and click on the Synchronization Settings button to change the setting
for a newsgroup. (Or just right-click on the name of the newsgroup in the
folder list and choose Synchronization Settings from the menu that pops up.)

Otherwise, it is probably a problem with your server as someone else
suggested.

Regards,
Susan

Old 19-12-2004, 03:50 PM
Allyb

Well, I've sent an email to my isp to see what they can do. I've come to
the conclusion that it is the news server. Thanks for all your posts!
Allison

Old 20-12-2004, 07:09 AM
Richard

In article , Allyb wrote:
Well, I've sent an email to my isp to see what they can do. I've come to
the conclusion that it is the news server. Thanks for all your posts!
Allison

OE has a known problem in this area and other people can read your
posts. Why do you think it's the ISP?

Old 20-12-2004, 01:23 PM
Margolis

"Richard" wrote in message ...

OE has a known problem in this area and other people can read your
posts. Why do you think it's the ISP?

because it is. It is not an OE problem. I am having the same problem on
the new news server my isp just switched too a couple of weeks ago. Some of
the posts I make DO NOT show up on the server I posted them to. But if I go
to another server I keep as a backup they are there. This problem started
with the new server, and ONLY happens on that server. This new server has
all kinds of problems. Sometimes answers show up before questions,
sometimes a post may show up a dozen times, sometimes not at all.

Old 20-12-2004, 08:38 PM
Eric Schreiber

Margolis wrote:

OE has a known problem in this area and other people can read your
posts. Why do you think it's the ISP?

because it is. It is not an OE problem.

Perhaps. The thing is, this exact same set of circumstances (not being
able to see one's own posts) had been demonstrated to be an OE problem
many times before.

The test is easy - fire up a different news reader, and see if the
posts show up. There are a number of good, free, newsreaders available,
so all the test would cost would be a bit of time.

--
Eric Schreiber
www.ericschreiber.com