Old 16-12-2004, 03:53 PM
Quatermass

Default What exactly is a 'rest period' for my Madagascar Lace Plant?

I've got a few Aponogeton madagascariensis (Madagascar Lace Plant) and
I'm told they need a 'rest period'. Fine, but what exactly is that?

Do I leave it in the dark for a month, two months?

Or do I remove it from my Aquarium and then put it in the dark for a
time?

Any particular time of year?

What length of time is really required. I've read 4 weeks to 8 weeks!

I've also read that if I cut off the main sprout when it shows up that
this stop the need for a rest period.
Any knowledgable person care to comment please? :-)

Thanks.

Old 19-12-2004, 05:46 AM
Richard

In article .com,
Quatermass wrote:
I've got a few Aponogeton madagascariensis (Madagascar Lace Plant) and
I'm told they need a 'rest period'. Fine, but what exactly is that?

A myth. If you fertilize the root ball they don't rest. It's not resting
it's run out of food. You know they like it cool right? (68-72F).

Old 20-12-2004, 02:36 PM
Quatermass

A 2 degree range? That's a bit narrow isn't it?

A myth eh? Why, oh why, is there so many 'myths' in the Aquarium
world? :-)

I've just discovered the truth about those bacterial conditioner
bottles.

BTW, I don't want to be a pain, but are you a knowledgable person on
plant matters? You didn't say.

:-)