Old 24-12-2004, 03:32 PM
Shagster

Default Diatom filters

Is anyone out there using a Diatom (like a Vortex D-1) filter in a planted
tank??? Is it safe to keep a filter like this in place continuously?

I keep having a recurring problem with "green/cloudy" water.. My UV
sterilizer isn't fixing it, and the only thing that works is a few hours
with a rented Vortex Diatom D-1 with Super-Char...

I wouldn't mind purchasing one, but want to know what others thought about
continual use in a planted tank..

Thanks,
Troy

Old 24-12-2004, 05:09 PM
Rick

"Shagster" wrote in message
Is anyone out there using a Diatom (like a Vortex D-1) filter in a planted
tank??? Is it safe to keep a filter like this in place continuously?

I keep having a recurring problem with "green/cloudy" water.. My UV
sterilizer isn't fixing it, and the only thing that works is a few hours
with a rented Vortex Diatom D-1 with Super-Char...

I wouldn't mind purchasing one, but want to know what others thought about
continual use in a planted tank..

Thanks,
Troy

I recently redid my planted tank , adding flourite substrate etc. and had

an outbreak of green water off and on for awhile. I ordered a Vortex XL and
it cleared the tank up to crystal clear in no time at all.

Rick

Old 24-12-2004, 06:27 PM
Margolis

"Shagster" wrote in message
Is anyone out there using a Diatom (like a Vortex D-1) filter in a planted
tank??? Is it safe to keep a filter like this in place continuously?

I keep having a recurring problem with "green/cloudy" water.. My UV
sterilizer isn't fixing it, and the only thing that works is a few hours
with a rented Vortex Diatom D-1 with Super-Char...

I wouldn't mind purchasing one, but want to know what others thought about
continual use in a planted tank..

Thanks,
Troy

If your UV sterilizer isn't curing the green water, you have major problems.
A UV sterilizer does a MUCH better job of clearing up green water than a de
filter does, with the added benefit of killing free floating bacteria and
other nasties. If your water is cloudy, that is an indication of bacteria
floating in the water, which is another indication something is wrong with
the UV. What kind of UV unit is it? How old is the bulb in your UV unit?
Also, what is the wattage and the flow rate thru it? Do you leave the UV
on 24/7/365?
--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/200302152...qs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

Old 24-12-2004, 08:55 PM
Shagster

I rented a Diatom a week ago that cleared the problem in just a few hours..
Of course, I returned the filter and now the problem is back.. A friend is
lending me a UV that's 6 years old, but the bulb is within a year old..
It's 25 Watts.. and yes, I've had it on 24x7.

I eventually want to purchase my own diatom and UV, but wanted to hear if
others use the diatom 24x7..

Troy

Old 24-12-2004, 11:31 PM
Michi Henning

"Shagster" wrote in message
I rented a Diatom a week ago that cleared the problem in just a few hours..
Of course, I returned the filter and now the problem is back.. A friend is
lending me a UV that's 6 years old, but the bulb is within a year old..
It's 25 Watts.. and yes, I've had it on 24x7.

Hmmm... UV is a sure-fire wire to get rid of green water, period. If it isn't
doing
that for you, there are a few possible causes:

- Something is wrong with your sterilizer, for example, the bulb is worn, or
the quartz sleeve or surface of the tube are dirty, so the UV light can't
actually irradiate the water. (Bulb life is typically 8000 hours with a
conventional ballast, or 12000 hours with an electronic ballast.)

- The wattage is too low (unlikely at 25W, unless your tank is larger
than around 200gal).

- The flow rate is too high, so the dwell time in the sterilizer too short
to effectively kill the algae.

- The flow rate is too low, so you kill everything that passes through
the sterilizer, but the sterilizer doesn't turn over your tank volume
frequently enough, so the rate at which the algae reproduce exceeds
the rate at which they are being killed in the sterilizer.

First I would check that the sterilizer is clean inside. If it isn't,
it can't do its job.

At 25W, you can use the sterilizer for a tank up to around 200gal, depending
on what organisms you want to kill. But, for algae, you will still get more
than
enough zap dosage at that wattage. So, unless your tank is larger than 200gal,
this is unlikely to be the problem.

The flow rate of the sterilizer must not exceed a threshold beyond which the
zap
dosage drops too low to be effective. For a 25W sterilizer, you must keep the
flow rate below 200gal per hour to get a zap dosage of at least 20,000
microwatts per second per square centimeter.

The flow rate through the sterilizer must be high enough to turn over the tank
volume such that most of the tank water passes through the sterilizer at least
once a day. Because the sterilized water mixes with unsterilized water, it
turns out that to get that turnover rate, you need a higher flow rate than
you would intuitively expect. Recommended turnover rate is between once
and twice per day (meaning that 99% of the tank water has actually passed
through the sterilizer at least once or twice a day). For a 100gal tank, the
flow rate must be no less than 40gal per hour, for a 200gal tank, the flow
rate must be no less than 80gal per hour.

So, here are your parameters:

- Check that the sterilizer is actually doing its job (clean, and working
tube/bulb).

- Don't run the sterilizer at more than 200 gallons per hour.

- From your tank size, work out the required turnover rate. For 100gal, that's
at least 40gal per hour (but 80gal per hour would be better), for a 200gal
tank, that's at least 80gal per hour (but 160 gal per hour would be better).

If you stay within those parameters and keep the sterlizer running 24x7,
you will not have green water, period.

I eventually want to purchase my own diatom and UV, but wanted to hear if
others use the diatom 24x7..

No, you can't run diatoms 24x7. The filter media get clogged very quickly,
typically within a few hours. Diatom filters are used as occasional water
polishing filters, not as permanent filters.

Cheers,

Michi.

--
Michi Henning Ph: +61 4 1118-2700
ZeroC, Inc. http://www.zeroc.com

Old 26-12-2004, 04:15 AM
Rick

"Michi Henning" wrote in message
"Shagster" wrote in message
No, you can't run diatoms 24x7. The filter media get clogged very quickly,
typically within a few hours. Diatom filters are used as occasional water
polishing filters, not as permanent filters.

Cheers,

Michi.

--
Michi Henning Ph: +61 4 1118-2700
ZeroC, Inc. http://www.zeroc.com

Great post Michi up to this point. You can leave a diatom filter running
24-7 in fact my new Vortex XL recommends it. In answer to the original
posters question I left my running for 3 days, 24-7 however the water was
crystal clear after a few hours and I'm not sure I accomplished much more by
running it longer. The older Vortex models I don't think were recommended
for continuous operation.

Rick

Old 26-12-2004, 10:32 PM
Michi Henning

"Shagster" wrote in message
No, you can't run diatoms 24x7. The filter media get clogged very quickly,
typically within a few hours. Diatom filters are used as occasional water
polishing filters, not as permanent filters.

Great post Michi up to this point. You can leave a diatom filter running
24-7 in fact my new Vortex XL recommends it. In answer to the original
posters question I left my running for 3 days, 24-7 however the water was
crystal clear after a few hours and I'm not sure I accomplished much more by
running it longer. The older Vortex models I don't think were recommended
for continuous operation.

Ah, I learn something new every day. However, I really wonder how well this
would work. The diatom filter is so fine that it even traps the most minute
particles and, once you have reached the absorption limit, I think all the
filter would do is to release as many particles as it holds back. I know that
if you use a diatom filter on a bad case of green water, the media get
clogged with an hour or two. I guess for a tank without large amounts
of particulate matter, you could keep the filter running 24x7, but I would
still expect to have to replace media quite often, maybe once a week?

Cheers,

Michi.

Old 27-12-2004, 12:15 AM
www.Fish-ForumS.com

The new diatom filters can be used 24/7

check out these awsome before and after pics i just got done taking on
tanks with greenwater

http://www.fish-forums.com/board/vie...ghlight=diatom

http://www.fish-forums.com/board/vie...ghlight=diatom

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 09:32:33 -0500, "Shagster"
wrote:

Is anyone out there using a Diatom (like a Vortex D-1) filter in a planted
tank??? Is it safe to keep a filter like this in place continuously?

I keep having a recurring problem with "green/cloudy" water.. My UV
sterilizer isn't fixing it, and the only thing that works is a few hours
with a rented Vortex Diatom D-1 with Super-Char...

I wouldn't mind purchasing one, but want to know what others thought about
continual use in a planted tank..

Thanks,
Troy

Marc
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______
Want to win a FREE new co2 system or a lighting system OUR PHOTO CONTEST HAS STARTED

http://www.fish-forums.com

Http://www.aquatic-store.com
Old 27-12-2004, 09:25 PM
Rick

"Rick" wrote in message
Ah, I learn something new every day. However, I really wonder how well

this
would work. The diatom filter is so fine that it even traps the most

minute
particles and, once you have reached the absorption limit, I think all the
filter would do is to release as many particles as it holds back. I know

that
if you use a diatom filter on a bad case of green water, the media get
clogged with an hour or two. I guess for a tank without large amounts
of particulate matter, you could keep the filter running 24x7, but I would
still expect to have to replace media quite often, maybe once a week?

Cheers,

Michi.

depends I guess on the particular model you use. My XL is quite large and
uses 3 cups of diatom powder which of course does the filtering. If you have
green soup in the tank then I agree it will clog up and output flow will be
reduced. In my case in my 77 the water was cloudy and I was suspecting
possibly a bacterial bloom of sometype until I ran the vortex and could see
the green gathering on the powder. I could have shut the filter off and
connected it to all the rest of my 40 or so tanks and filtered them all
before disposing of that powder.

Rick

Old 28-12-2004, 04:09 PM
Richard

No, you can't run diatoms 24x7. The filter media get clogged very quickly,
typically within a few hours. Diatom filters are used as occasional water
polishing filters, not as permanent filters.

Maybe you can't, but I can.

If your tank is so dirty it clogs a diatom filter in under a week or two
you have bigger problems than trying to make it crystal clear. Try some elbow
grease and big water changes.

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org
Old 28-12-2004, 08:00 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Richard" wrote in message ...
No, you can't run diatoms 24x7. The filter media get clogged very

quickly,
typically within a few hours. Diatom filters are used as occasional

water
polishing filters, not as permanent filters.

Maybe you can't, but I can.

If your tank is so dirty it clogs a diatom filter in under a week or two
you have bigger problems than trying to make it crystal clear. Try some

elbow
grease and big water changes.

Isn't a diatom filter the same thing as a diatomaceous earth filter? I have
one on my pool, and the only time it has lost effectiveness is after I
neglected the pool and let it go green. I did a massive chlorine shock to
the pool, and filter it like hell. The resulting algae gummed the filter up,
but a quick backwash fixed that.

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com

Old 07-01-2005, 03:41 AM
Shagster

Which media did you use? I tried the "straight" white power and ran the
Vortex D1 for 24 hours with no change in my pea soup mix.. The next day I
cleaned the filter and recharged with Super-Char and the tank was gorgeous
within 3 hours. Truly, amazing!

So you think leaving a Vortex D1 run 24x7 is no problem? Especially in a
generally "clean" tank?

Thanks,
Troy