GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   KH = 0?!?! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/88009-kh-%3D-0-a.html)

Martin 25-12-2004 04:30 AM

KH = 0?!?!

I recently moved and just discovered that my new tap water has a KH of 0
degrees. I've never heard of this. My question is: Is baking soda a viable
KH increaser or is there a product available that I should be using? Does
baking soda increase any other mineral content such as calcium? Yes, I'm
aware of the effects on PH.

Martin

Martin 25-12-2004 06:18 AM

Thanks. I see why you said "add it slowly." I added a teaspoon to my 37G
aquarium every 10 minutes until the PH was back up to 7.0. I only had to
add 3 teaspoons. I was astonished! This brought the KH up to 3 degrees.
Thanks again.

Martin

"DJay" wrote in message
Baking soda is perfect for raising *only* the Kh. I used to do it all the
time. Make a solution and add it slowly... to prevent a Ph spike.

m...

DJay 31-12-2004 05:14 AM

Martin,

Glad to help. My calculations were 2.2 teaspoons of BS to rais it from 0 to
3. What was your Ph before you raised the KH? Likely the Ph rise wasn't
too much as you just added buffering capacity.

DJay

m...

"DJay" wrote in message
Baking soda is perfect for raising *only* the Kh. I used to do it all

the
time. Make a solution and add it slowly... to prevent a Ph spike.

m...