Old 29-12-2004, 02:14 PM
Allyb

Default Water return strategies

Do you guys have any tips on how to return the water from a canister filter
so that it doesn't come out in such a cataract at one location? It blows
around all the plants in the corner where it comes in, and when I look at
pictures on planted aquaria (granted they could have the filter off for the
picture) I don't see an area like my filter return has created in my
aquarium (55g btw) Thanks! Allison

Old 29-12-2004, 03:15 PM
Nikki Casali

Maybe put a little mesh sock over it to diffuse it. I've never tried it
myself, but was tempted with my quarantine aquarium which has an
oversized canister filter. The cherry barbs were freaking out. Instead,
I just stuffed filter wool into the output to diffuse and slow the current.

There's also a spray bar which can be placed under the water line. Never
tried this either.

Nikki

Old 29-12-2004, 08:45 PM
Margolis

"Allyb" wrote in message
Do you guys have any tips on how to return the water from a canister

filter
so that it doesn't come out in such a cataract at one location? It blows
around all the plants in the corner where it comes in, and when I look at
pictures on planted aquaria (granted they could have the filter off for

the
picture) I don't see an area like my filter return has created in my
aquarium (55g btw) Thanks! Allison

just add a spray bar. A bar under the water with small holes drilled up and
down it's length instead of just one big hole at the end.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/200302152...qs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

Old 30-12-2004, 12:42 AM
allyb

I was afraid that a spray bar would cause the same annoying current in
a hundred places instead of one. If I use the analogy of a sprayer on
the end of a water hose, the water seems to shoot out more forcefully
from the many small holes than it does from the hose without the
attachment. I've never investigated seen one personally in an aquarium
though. Maybe that is the way to go, hmmmm.....

Old 31-12-2004, 07:58 AM
Margolis

well you don't make the holes so small that the water comes out in little
high pressure streams. The key is to make enough holes that the water comes
out slower at lower pressure. I use 3/16" or 1/4" drill bits and make LOTS
of holes. You can also drill the holes so that they point at the glass or
into the corner. Then the water currents will be diffused even more.

Old 31-12-2004, 03:47 PM
allyb

Are spray bars normally installed vertically in line with the regular
return, or horizontally, maybe along the bottom at the back to get the
detritus out of hard to reach places? Also, if I wanted to buy
something at the hardware store to make this bar out of, is pvc inert?
What about painting it? Thanks a bunch!

Old 31-12-2004, 04:08 PM
Margolis

"allyb" wrote in message
ups.com...
Are spray bars normally installed vertically in line with the regular
return, or horizontally, maybe along the bottom at the back to get the
detritus out of hard to reach places? Also, if I wanted to buy
something at the hardware store to make this bar out of, is pvc inert?
What about painting it? Thanks a bunch!

You can place it however you want. Mine is vertical, some people have them
horizontal. some at the top of the tank, some at the bottom. I use
marineland magnum 350 intake tubes for the spray bar. Just silicone the two
pieces together and plug up the end and then drill holes up and down it's
length. You can also use pvc. It is harmless in an aquarium and is
actually used quite often. pvc glue is also harmless as long as it has
cured.

Paint is another story, paint won't stick to the plastic and will flake off.
It is possible to die pvc somewhat, but I have never tried that.