GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hygrophila difformis (Water Wisteria) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/88149-hygrophila-difformis-water-wisteria.html)

[email protected] 30-12-2004 02:05 AM

Hygrophila difformis (Water Wisteria)

Hi, I've just bought some Wisteria, decided to try something new. I was
wonderin what people's expiriencs with this plant are and their
comments.

I also put this plant into a tank that I haven't cycled yet. The only
fish inhabitants are 4 black neon tetra. WIll the plant grow under
these conditions? Will the plant slow down the speed at which the tank
cycles?

Thanks for reading.
Evan Davis

Dances_With_Ferrets 30-12-2004 03:33 PM

wrote:
Hi, I've just bought some Wisteria, decided to try something new. I

was
wonderin what people's expiriencs with this plant are and their
comments.

I also put this plant into a tank that I haven't cycled yet. The only
fish inhabitants are 4 black neon tetra. WIll the plant grow under
these conditions? Will the plant slow down the speed at which the

tank
cycles?

Thanks for reading.
Evan Davis

My general experience is that this is a fairly undemanding plant as
long as you have good, strong lighting. Regular fertilization with a
broad-spectrum aquatic plant fertilizer would be beneficial as well.
This is definitely not a plant for low-light tanks. It reproduces as
easily as most any stem plant, simply pinch off the top 4-5 inches when
it gets too tall, and replant the top.

Nick Wise 30-12-2004 05:35 PM

The plant will not slow down the cycling. With enough plants, you can
even eliminate the traditional "cycle."

Nick

[email protected] 01-01-2005 12:21 AM

Unless your water supply is very rich, your setup will not support this
plant.

With my water supply, this plant requires fertilizer. Without
fertilizer it grows too slow and sprouts only yellow leaves. If you
have enough nutrients in the water, this plant grows very fast. In my
tank, you can see threads of oxygen bubbles emitting from it.
I use Flourish, Flourish Iron, etc with good results.