GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Coralife Aqualight vs. AHS (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/88181-coralife-aqualight-vs-ahs.html)

Henry 30-12-2004 10:20 PM

Coralife Aqualight vs. AHS

I am wondering if anyone has experience with Coralife Aqualife compact
fluorescent strip lights.

I am looking at a 48" "double strip" model for my 75 gallon freshwater
planted tank. The "fresh water" model has 6700 K lights and is 260 watts
(four 65 watt bulbs).

The Coralife light is somewhat more than the similar Aquarium Hobbyist
Supply "britekit", but it is not a kit , comes assembled, and includes the
bulbs. By the time the bulbs are added to the AHS hit and a hood has been
constructed etc. I think the costs will be the same. Also: the Coralife
setup has 4 65 watt bulbs whereas the AHS kit has 4 55 watt bulbs, so the
Coralife is 40 watts more powerful.

I know that AHS lights have a good reputation. Does anyone have any thoughts
on the Coralife Aqualights ??

Any comments greatly appreciated as I need to make my mind up and order one
or the other pretty soon.

John Owens 31-12-2004 12:39 PM

I have the 36" Coralife freshwater PC and it is quite impressive. The thing
is like a small sun sitting over the tank. Not quite MH but you get the
idea. I'm not sure about the plants loving it, but the Algae is sending me
an X-Mas card. Once I get that algae under control I think the plants
will really take off. I've not had it for long enough to effect the plants
yet.

ink.net...

Captain Feedback 05-01-2005 02:00 AM

I have a 48" Coralife Aqualight over my 55gal marine tank, with two 65w
10000Ks and two 65w blue actinics. I couldn't be happier with it. I'm
on a budget and it was reasonably priced ... I've had other
"inexpensive" fixtures in the past, and the two main problems were that
the fans worked inadequately / made a lot of noise / broke, and/or the
acrylic shield was difficult to remove or wasn't mounted well. No
problems like this with the Coralife. It's a solid, dependable fixture.

Henry 05-01-2005 01:50 PM

Thank you for your input.

I have decided to go ahead and order the Coralight.