GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help Whats wrong with this plant??? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/88319-help-whats-wrong-plant.html)

Steve Danhof 03-01-2005 10:29 PM

Help Whats wrong with this plant???

1 Attachment(s)
PH is 8.0 (perfect for the 2 cichlids I have in it)
Ammonia is coming down (currently at approx 2.0 PPM)
Nitrites are of course rising now(.25 ppm).

Anyway, that's the good part, my problem starts in that I have never raised
live plants before. I put one in the tank as a starting point until I can
learn more and it seems as though there is a great deal more I need to
learn, the plant is turning strange colors. The tank has a 15 Watt
flourescent full spectrum aquarium light and a temp of 75 Degrees. I have
been "feeding" the plant once a week with a product called "Leaf Zone" by
aquarium pharmaceuticals, INC.. Since I am color blind I cannot really
describe what the plant looks like but they say a picture is worth a
thousand words so hopefully these pictures will help.

Higher res pics available at http://home.comcast.net/~shdanhof/PlantPics.htm

Anyone have any ideas what could be done to save this plant?

Thanks for your help,
-Steve

Victor Martinez 04-01-2005 01:07 AM

Hi. Please don't post binary pictures to non-binary groups.
learn, the plant is turning strange colors. The tank has a 15 Watt
flourescent full spectrum aquarium light and a temp of 75 Degrees. I have

That's probably not enough light. How big is the tank? What kind of bulb
is it, CF or regular fluorescent?

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Steve Danhof 04-01-2005 05:04 AM

Hi. Please don't post binary pictures to non-binary groups.

Sorry must have posted the wrong one. I thought I just posted the link to
my site.

What kind of bulb
is it, CF or regular fluorescent?

It is a 20 gallon tank with a regular fluorescent bulb. It was the bulb
that came with the hood. Can I get a higher wattage bulb or should I get
another fixture?

Thanks
-Steve

Victor Martinez 04-01-2005 01:26 PM

Steve Danhof wrote:
It is a 20 gallon tank with a regular fluorescent bulb. It was the bulb

Way too little light.

that came with the hood. Can I get a higher wattage bulb or should I get
another fixture?

You probably want a retrofit kit. You can get a good deal on Ebay.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he