GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hood Rec's Sought (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/88331-hood-recs-sought.html)

John Thomas 04-01-2005 01:30 AM

Hood Rec's Sought

I'm looking for a hood that I can put on top of a 10x20 inch glass lid.
Hopefully, it would be bright enough to grow plants in a (deep) 20
gallon freshwater tank.

After a couple of weeks of looking, all I've been able to find so far
are 10W chunks of plastic at Engulf & Devour Pets, or when online, 500W
marine setups that put out enough photons to compete with collapsing
neutron stars.

Any ideas where I could find a happy medium between the two extremes?
Maybe something around 80 W and under $100?

Matt C. 04-01-2005 10:44 PM

Build Your own. buy the endcaps and ballast for either CF or T8 lighting.
and build a wood canopy to your liking.
It will be cheaper.
Matt

John Thomas 05-01-2005 11:55 PM

Matt C. wrote:
Build Your own. buy the endcaps and ballast for either CF or T8 lighting.
and build a wood canopy to your liking.
It will be cheaper.
Matt

Thanks for the advice. Looks I'm going to get a kit from AH Lighting and
spend some time in the garage.

Captain Feedback 06-01-2005 02:19 AM

John Thomas wrote:
I'm looking for a hood that I can put on top of a 10x20 inch glass

lid.
Hopefully, it would be bright enough to grow plants in a (deep) 20
gallon freshwater tank.

After a couple of weeks of looking, all I've been able to find so far

are 10W chunks of plastic at Engulf & Devour Pets, or when online,

500W
marine setups that put out enough photons to compete with collapsing
neutron stars.

Any ideas where I could find a happy medium between the two extremes?

Maybe something around 80 W and under $100?

http://www.petwarehouse.com has a PC fixture, 20" and 80W, for $105
(only a little over $100 ;-) ... they also have a 24" fixture w/65W for
$60.

js1 06-01-2005 05:27 AM

http://tinyurl.com/524as

http://www.aquarium-supply.biz/order...tFRESH_pc.html