Old 05-01-2005, 10:43 PM
Matt C.

Default I think I have baby rams horns??? is this good?

I am pretty sure i have a bunch of baby Ramshorn snails in my tank. They are
tiny, like 1/16" they have the definite "rams horn" shell and are carrying
the shell off to one side.

I have heard and read these can be bad for plants. I havent added anything
to my tank in about two months, but about three weeks ago i took a few (7)
baby MTS from my brothers tank and put them in mine. I guess they werent all
MTS.

I have a loach but if he is eating them, hes not doing a good job of it. Do
i have to worry while they are babies? should I pick out each one when i see
them?

Thanx,
Matt

Old 06-01-2005, 04:35 PM
Rick

"Matt C." wrote in message
I am pretty sure i have a bunch of baby Ramshorn snails in my tank. They

are
tiny, like 1/16" they have the definite "rams horn" shell and are carrying
the shell off to one side.

I have heard and read these can be bad for plants. I havent added anything
to my tank in about two months, but about three weeks ago i took a few (7)
baby MTS from my brothers tank and put them in mine. I guess they werent

all
MTS.

I have a loach but if he is eating them, hes not doing a good job of it.

Do
i have to worry while they are babies? should I pick out each one when i

see
them?

Thanx,
Matt

you can pick till hell freezes over but will never get rid of those snails.
They are like cockroaches, if you can see 10 then you have a thousand hidden
elsewhere. Get yourself a couple of clown loaches if your tank size permits
and the tank will be snail free pretty quick, if not then use a piece of
cucumber or similar vegetable attached to a rock or perhaps an uplift tube
from a sponge filter with an elastic band and frequently clean the snails
off . You will be amazed at how many there will be.

Rick

Old 10-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Craig

I have exactly the same problem (i can usually see about 10 - 20 snails
on the bog wood)

Chemicals did nothing at all (king british "snail control") and im
worried that itll throw my tank balances out if i over dose the water as
i keep some sensative catfish.

Seems like ill have to get a snail eating loach and once it matures
put it in with my oscar (he already lives with one loach and they
get on fine)

Cheers again Craig

Old 15-01-2005, 01:48 PM
Fuzzy

Hey Craig, I'll give that a try. I am setting up my new 135g tank. Planning on putting some plants in it. Maybe ferns or hogwart. I am pretty sure they will be snail egg infested, when I get them. Never had a plant it seems that wasn't. GEt a few plants, and suddenly snails appear......

Old 15-01-2005, 01:48 PM
Craig

hi, i ended up cleaning the tank down to bare bones, took uot all the
fish, bleeched it all down, dipped all the plants (was just java fern)
rocks and wood in a potasium permanginate solution and rebuilt the tank.
its cycling now but (touch wood) all the snails are gone.

I found one or two snails left on the wood, so i put them on the top of
the tank and they arnt moving, so i assume there dead (2days and
counting).

It would be very easy to just dipp all plants and decorarion in the tank
in a pottasium permanginate solution (leave for 15 mins) and then rince
it off, it has no adverse side effecrts on anything and will kill snails
and there eggs instantly.

hope that helped Craig