Old 09-01-2005, 10:57 PM
Allyb

Default how to keep the yeast warm

Hi, just thought I'd share a little trick I've discovered. I've never come
across anything about this, and if anyone who reads this has, I'd love to
have the link.
I live in central Florida, and my 55g aquarium is on an porch which is
enclosed, but not heated or cooled. Of course I heat the aquarium, but have
had problems with my diy CO2 production fluctuating with the ambient
temperature. When it's in the high 80's on the porch, tons of CO2 is
produced, and when it's in the 40's virtually none is. My solution was to
build a little wood shelf that allows the yeast mixture (which I keep in
three soda bottles) to sit up against the aquarium glass (behind the
aquarium which also keeps them out of sight). I then built a little
enclosure out of leftover insulation board that goes around the other three
sides of the bottles along with a little insulated cover so I can get to
them for maintenance. Voila, the bottles are now kept at the same,
relatively constant, temperature that the aquarium is. It has worked great
so far, my CO2 production is wonderfully consistent now. I'm gonna feel
really stupid if you guys send me 5,000 links of sites that describe how to
do this, or mock me for not having a pressurized system, but oh well. I
felt like sharing Allison

Old 10-01-2005, 02:44 AM
Ozdude

"Allyb" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like an excellent idea to me. I've been around the plants sites and
haven't seen this mentioned, so you may be onto something...congratulations.

Oz

Old 12-01-2005, 04:48 PM
Rich M

In article ,
"Ozdude" wrote:

I think Allyb is on to something here, as the tank both warms itself and the
CO2 with one or two heaters.

I agree, it's a very clever idea. But for people who don't have room
behind the tank for such an arrangement the bucket method allows for
remote placement under or beside the tank rather than directly behind it.
Old 13-01-2005, 12:03 AM
Allyb

That's true, I do have a lot of room behind my tank because of the way my
hood opens...

Old 13-01-2005, 02:22 AM
Ozdude

"Allyb" wrote in message
That's true, I do have a lot of room behind my tank because of the way my
hood opens...

I agree, it's a very clever idea. But for people who don't have room
behind the tank for such an arrangement the bucket method allows for
remote placement under or beside the tank rather than directly behind it.

What about at the side of the tank then?

Oz

--
My Aquatic web Blog is at http://members.optusnet.com.au/ivan.smith

Old 13-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Rich M

In article ,
"Ozdude" wrote:

What about at the side of the tank then?

Oz

That would need to be a deep tank to fit 3 two liters on the side :^)
Seriously though, I don't think it would look very attractive having a
styrofaom box attached to the side of a tank. To each his own.
Old 22-01-2005, 08:23 PM
surewest

I have my two litter CO2 bottle inside of two socks..
keeps the temp fluctuations down to a minimum.

Worst case if there is no room to hang something on
the sides or back, you could always run a hose off
a power head and wind the hose/tube around the bottle.

--

Dr5000

Remember dont tap the glass,
....or your fish will think you're an idiot !