Old 10-01-2005, 10:08 PM
default

Default Informative Plant site

I stumbled upon this site while looking for info on a plant I collected
at a local pond. I thought it was millfoil, but now beleive it to be
Coontail (Ceratophyllum demersum).

This is the native plant page:
http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/pl...ive/index.html

and the parent site:
http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/links/plants.html

and another useful page:
http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/pl...id2/index.html
enjoy!

steve

Oh yeah, Coontail for sale! Cheap! :)

Old 11-01-2005, 12:25 AM
Ozdude

"default" wrote in message
oups.com...
I stumbled upon this site while looking for info on a plant I collected
at a local pond. I thought it was millfoil, but now beleive it to be
Coontail (Ceratophyllum demersum).

This is the native plant page:
http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/pl...ive/index.html

and the parent site:
http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/links/plants.html

and another useful page:
http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/pl...id2/index.html
enjoy!

steve

Oh yeah, Coontail for sale! Cheap! :)

Just a cautiionary: did you bathe the wild plants in Alum to rid them of any
parasites or snails?

Just wondering?

Oz

Old 11-01-2005, 01:44 AM
default

Ozdude wrote:
"default" wrote in message
oups.com...
I stumbled upon this site while looking for info on a plant I

collected
at a local pond.

steve

Just a cautiionary: did you bathe the wild plants in Alum to rid them

of any
parasites or snails?

Just wondering?

Oz

I was thinking along those lines, but didn't know the treatment. I
have a 20g running along doing nothing at the moment so the plants are
in there. I"m watching them, kinda an experiment. No visible bugs
have come off them yet. Before I put them in a real tank I'll plunge
them in bleach.

steve

Old 11-01-2005, 03:58 AM
Benign Vanilla

"Ozdude" wrote in message
u...
snip
Just a cautiionary: did you bathe the wild plants in Alum to rid them of

any
parasites or snails?

Just wondering?

snip

PP is a great tool as well. Very dangerous, but a good tool if you are
careful.

http://www.iheartmypond.com/Treatmen...mPermanganate/

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com

Old 11-01-2005, 08:58 AM
Ozdude

"default" wrote in message
oups.com...

Just a cautiionary: did you bathe the wild plants in Alum to rid them

of any
parasites or snails?

Just wondering?

Oz

I was thinking along those lines, but didn't know the treatment. I
have a 20g running along doing nothing at the moment so the plants are
in there. I"m watching them, kinda an experiment. No visible bugs
have come off them yet. Before I put them in a real tank I'll plunge
them in bleach.

I've just discovered that Australian Eel Grass is actually a strain of
Vallisineria and it likes warm water too. I've seen a native hypgrophillia
with it up the road in the park's lake. You've got me thinking now........

My Chinese Loach died this afternoon, so when I get over that I might do as
you have done and break the 10Gal down and quarantine some wild plants in it

Oz

Old 11-01-2005, 09:26 AM
Ozdude

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"Ozdude" wrote in message
u...
snip
Just a cautiionary: did you bathe the wild plants in Alum to rid them of

any
parasites or snails?

Just wondering?

snip

PP is a great tool as well. Very dangerous, but a good tool if you are
careful.

http://www.iheartmypond.com/Treatmen...mPermanganate/

I think Hydrogen Peroxide might be better:

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/doc...per.shtml#h2o2

and

http://www.aquaticrealm.com/index.ph..._view&id=10015

It can neutralise Potassium Permanganate if you overdose with it, as well
doing all sorts of things to algae, and various parasites which infect the
gills and skin of fish. It kills snails and parasites on plants too, then
beaks down into hydrogen and oxygen -magic really.

I am going to investigate it myself after my loach dying this afternoon. I
am scared there is something in my tank now.;(

Mr loach had very slimy skin with a large hole in his right dorsal region
and I tested my water before a 10% water change. pH was 7.8 (usual these
days), Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 0.50 - hence the water change.

I'll keep an eye on the Tetras that remain now and if they show any skin
problems like itch or holes like the loach had I'm going for the H2O2

Oz

Old 11-01-2005, 04:10 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Ozdude" wrote in message
snip
I think Hydrogen Peroxide might be better:

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/doc...per.shtml#h2o2

and

http://www.aquaticrealm.com/index.ph..._view&id=10015

snip

Some great links. I have added a new section on our web site to store them,
http://www.iheartmypond.com/Treatmen...rogenPeroxide/.

Old 11-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Nick Wise

default wrote:
I stumbled upon this site while looking for info on a plant I

collected
at a local pond. I thought it was millfoil, but now beleive it to be
Coontail (Ceratophyllum demersum).

This is the native plant page:
http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/pl...ive/index.html

and the parent site:
http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/links/plants.html

and another useful page:
http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/pl...id2/index.html
enjoy!

steve

Oh yeah, Coontail for sale! Cheap! :)

If you are interested in plant distribution in the US and related info,
here is the best site, hands down.

http://plants.usda.gov/

Nick

Old 11-01-2005, 05:42 PM
Richard

In article ,
Benign Vanilla wrote:

"Ozdude" wrote in message
u...
snip
I think Hydrogen Peroxide might be better:

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/doc...per.shtml#h2o2

and

http://www.aquaticrealm.com/index.ph..._view&id=10015

snip

Some great links. I have added a new section on our web site to store them,
http://www.iheartmypond.com/Treatmen...rogenPeroxide/.

I've been playing with H2O2 in aquaria for the past few months. It's pretty
usefull.

WHen you drain a tank to change water wipe the glass with it. You've never
seen it so clean, no more scraping algae.

It'll kill red (black/hall/bba) algae at very low doses - 1-2cc/gal. It
doesn't seem to hurt green algae much. It will kill your iron and of course
cause an ammonia spike from dead alage do you need to deal withthat (bit
water changes).

As a dip, 3000ppm (10:1 3% to water) for 4 minutes seems to kill snails,
all alage and anything non-plant.

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org