Old 11-01-2005, 02:13 AM
scott

Default Question about a fishtank in my office cubical

Hello All,

I have been doing a lot of research but need advice from the experts
(aka you guys) on what type of setup I can put in my cubical. I have
plenty of power (AC) but I can not have filters or what not due to
noise (we have lots of engineers in a very tight area). When I was at
Petsmart, I was looking at a 2.5gal glass tank. It was roughly
12x6x9inches. Small enough for my cube but not large enough to get in
the way. I was/am looking at getting live plants to use instead of
filters. What type of fish and what type of plants do you all
recommend? I was thinking of Tetras since they are pretty durable but
I am open to most anything (fairly small).

Thanks,
Scott

Old 11-01-2005, 05:33 AM
George Pontis

In article om,
says...
Hello All,

I have been doing a lot of research but need advice from the experts
(aka you guys) on what type of setup I can put in my cubical. I have
plenty of power (AC) but I can not have filters or what not due to
noise (we have lots of engineers in a very tight area). When I was at
Petsmart, I was looking at a 2.5gal glass tank. It was roughly
12x6x9inches. Small enough for my cube but not large enough to get in
the way. I was/am looking at getting live plants to use instead of
filters. What type of fish and what type of plants do you all
recommend? I was thinking of Tetras since they are pretty durable but
I am open to most anything (fairly small).

Take a look at the small Eclipse systems:

http://www.marineland.com/products/c...on_systems.asp

They are self contained with filter and light, and generally well designed. The
filters are effective and not noisy. Probably less so than the fans on office PCs.
There is a 3 and a 6 gallon unit that you might consider. To these you need to add
a small heater. You will also need some gravel, something to vacuum the gravel,
and a 1-2 gallon bucket for maintenance every week or two.

These are real aquariums with usable (flourescent) lights that would support some
plants a few small fish. Neon tetras are reasonable. Another popular fish is the
zebra danio; not as colorful but very active. You might also look at white cloud
minnows which would be fine without a heater.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:25 AM
Eric Schreiber

scott wrote:

I have been doing a lot of research but need advice from the experts
(aka you guys) on what type of setup I can put in my cubical. I have
plenty of power (AC) but I can not have filters or what not due to
noise

As George mentioned, the small Eclipse tanks are a good possibility. I
have one here, and it's silent. The one problem you may encounter in a
cubicle is that the magnetics in small tanks (any with an impeller
filter) are not shielded, and may interfere with your monitor - I had
my 3-gallon on my desk briefly, and it made my 19" monitor shake like
mad.

'Course, if you have an LCD screen, it's not an issue.

--
Eric Schreiber
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 11-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Margolis

I am going to suggest the same thing as the others, and eclipse system.
either a 3 gallon or 6 gallon. They have built in filtration with a
biowheel that is completely silent in operation.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/200302152...qs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

Old 12-01-2005, 12:32 AM
Allyb

You could have a beta in this type of tank. They do very well with neons,
as long as the neons are big enough to not fit in his mouth when you
introduce them. I have a beta in my 55g with neons and about 4 other
species of community fish. He is extremely active and interesting to watch
as he hunts around the aquarium looking for non-existent..... whatevers. As
far as plants, I was just reading something the other day that encouraged
the use of java fern and moss in small, low light aquariums as beneficial
water filters and a positive environment for the fish.

Old 12-01-2005, 04:02 AM

funny... but it violates the corporate security policy to change
our screen savers... dont ask.

Old 12-01-2005, 08:25 AM
Eric Schreiber

Ross Vandegrift wrote:

I suspect the original poster wasn't
completely joking --- a filterless tank will need water changes
frequently. If I were going to do it, I'd shoot for daily changes.
Lots of people do fewer if they keep only a single male betta, and
they do ok, but I've rarely seen them do well. I've seen plenty of
them dying from terrible dropsy and bacterial infections.

On the other hand, in a small enough tank those water changes can be
accomplished with a gallon water jug, a small bucket (or second jug)
and a turkey baster, in about five minutes. That's how I maintained my
original "I'm just going to get one fish, honey, honest" betta tank.

--
Eric Schreiber
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 12-01-2005, 02:18 PM

I realize he was not truly joking but a screen saver is not the same as
the real thing. Never is. I am hoping that I can get a truely silent
tank. Unlike management I dont get an office. If I can not find a
truely silent tank setup I will not be able to put one in my cubical.
We have these half walls that means any sounds truely travel far and
wide.

Old 12-01-2005, 04:06 PM
Bill Stock

wrote in message
oups.com...
I realize he was not truly joking but a screen saver is not the same as
the real thing. Never is. I am hoping that I can get a truely silent
tank. Unlike management I dont get an office. If I can not find a
truely silent tank setup I will not be able to put one in my cubical.
We have these half walls that means any sounds truely travel far and
wide.

If they don't allow you to change your Screen Saver, I doubt they allow
pets? Sounds like a government shop.

Old 12-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Margolis

go to a store that has an eclipse running. You cannot hear them. I can put
my ear against my 3 gallon eclipse and even then can't hear it. The only
way I know it is running is by seeing the water move.

Old 13-01-2005, 03:44 AM
js1

On 2005-01-11, scott wrote:
Hello All,

I have been doing a lot of research but need advice from the experts
(aka you guys) on what type of setup I can put in my cubical. I have
plenty of power (AC) but I can not have filters or what not due to
noise (we have lots of engineers in a very tight area). When I was at
Petsmart, I was looking at a 2.5gal glass tank. It was roughly
12x6x9inches. Small enough for my cube but not large enough to get in
the way. I was/am looking at getting live plants to use instead of
filters. What type of fish and what type of plants do you all
recommend? I was thinking of Tetras since they are pretty durable but
I am open to most anything (fairly small).

With a filterless setup, you're pretty much limited to anabantids,
dwarf frogs, and snails. I have a one gallon container divided for
two bettas:

http://js1.kicks-ass.org/~js1/image005.jpeg

The snails labeled as "Mystery Snails" at PetsMart in my experience have
been Pomacea bridgesii which are plant safe

http://www.applesnail.net/content/sp...a_bridgesi.htm

For a low light setup, you'd probably want to go with java fern and
anubias.

Composting Office Paper Down Under On The Bucket Farm Gardening 29 18-02-2004 02:02 AM
how to protect fish in an outdoors fishtank against raccoons? Edward Hua Ponds (alternative) 10 28-01-2004 10:37 PM
Snake in fishtank/ID? Bob in PA Ponds 8 29-11-2003 02:12 AM
Who uses shop light on their fishtank? they suck! SlimFlem Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 18-07-2003 10:14 AM
Who uses shop light on their fishtank? they suck! SlimFlem Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 01-06-2003 12:21 AM