Old 19-01-2005, 12:27 AM
K Byers

Default substrate for potted plants

I'm considering planting some aquatic plants in pots or in "planting rocks"
(from the Foster & Smith catalog).

I wish I had responded with this question last week when someone wrote that
plants get most of their nutrients from the water.

Can I put just plain aquarium gravel in these pots, or should I use
SeaChem's Flourite or ...what?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Old 20-01-2005, 01:39 AM
Richard Sexton

Most of my stuff is in pots. I've used flourite, beach sand over
a mix of Farfards aquatic soil mixed with profile (ran out of flourite)
and plan beach sand (ran out of...).

I can't say I notice much of a difference.

Is this true for your Crypts too? I've not tried Crypts without some
sort of iron at the roots.

Most of my plants are crypts.

I do dose with iron+traces these days and before that I'd put washers
under the soil which was under 4" of fine beach sand. Crypts are ehavy
feeders and want lots of nitrates and iron.

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org
Old 22-01-2005, 04:11 AM
K Byers

I'm considering planting some aquatic plants in pots or in "planting
rocks"
(from the Foster & Smith catalog).

I wish I had responded with this question last week when someone wrote
that
plants get most of their nutrients from the water.

Can I put just plain aquarium gravel in these pots, or should I use
SeaChem's Flourite or ...what?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Most of my stuff is in pots. I've used flourite, beach sand over
a mix of Farfards aquatic soil mixed with profile (ran out of flourite)
and plan beach sand (ran out of...).

I can't say I notice much of a difference.

Do you leave the hole at the bottom of the pot open? It seems that flourite
or soil would fall out, or that the iron, nitrogen, etc would get into the
water.

Old 22-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Ozdude

"K Byers" wrote in message

Do you leave the hole at the bottom of the pot open? It seems that
flourite
or soil would fall out, or that the iron, nitrogen, etc would get into the
water.

You block the hole. Use a pebble or the inside of a soft drink bottle top to
block it.

Oz

--
My Aquatic web Blog is at http://members.optusnet.com.au/ivan.smith